Competition breeds excellence

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
last-place-if-youre-not-first.gif
@Long_Rod_Silvers, @swimmy @Dustin Chromers @Jim Travers

I grew up with the motto above, which led me to find out that there is always somebody better, that is willing to work harder, smarter, and longer than you. I loved fishing with guys that took pride in counting fish and rewarding the days endeavour with "winner gets______" attitude. I walked through everyone of my fishing buddies, acquaintances, and ego bros on the river/lake until I turned 30 and went on a jetboat with 3 other guys, one which loved to keep score, he asked what the stakes were and I told him i would not only out fish him, but the entire boat, rather easily, $50... well, I didn't touch a fish all day, other 3 caught 5+ steelhead. That was the moment I had an epiphany and no longer compete in much of anything, let alone fishing.
10yrs later I take more enjoyment in seeing others succeed. I had it all wrong when I crossed competition with my passion for fishing. Competitiveness is probably why alot of our fish stocks are depleted, the fish lose

longputt

Steelhead
I played soccer all of my younger life and it seemed like I could always run "fast enough" during a game but my sprint times were nothing to brag about. Then in high school I was asked to run the 100 yard dash in competition and I won every time. Yet again when I ran by myself my times were not that great, if hadn't been for some injuries the coaches would have never asked me to run in competition.

Somewhere down in my DNA is a competitive streak and I have an impressive pile of "trophies" to show for it in several sports, but I never think about it and when the pressure is off I don't perform as well...I really do thrive on pressure.

I fish as a release and I don't keep score, but I wouldn't be surprised that people I've fished with would say I'm competitive. Maybe that's why I prefer to fish alone?

JayB

Steelhead
I’ve never been competitive, closer to lazy. In my mid thirties after a divorce I sign up at Vince’s gym and started lifting. Mind you I’m not a big guy, at all. Well, there is the belly… Anyway I got into it and would hit it every other day after work. Well that came and went after a few years but I did see results. Now at 70 I’m back at it for the past two months. I’m at Planet Fitness every other day. Not on free weights but they have a great number of good machines. So my competition is with my self again, couple more reps, little more weight. I’m not killing myself but a couple times I’ve pushed to failure. It’s amazing what these two months have done, but yeah, the belly is still there…;)
Worth a Read:

https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Knuckleball philosophy is a good one...Find a niche that is built for fun and longevity of body.....
Never understood why more power pitchers in the twilight of their career didn't try the route of RA Dickey, Tim Wakefield, Phil Niekro... learn the Knuckleball, do it well, pitch into your 40's without wrecking your shoulder, cash that MLB check a lot longer
I've heard that the hardest part of being a knuckleballer isnt the mechanics but the mental side. Think of the balls it takes to lob a 60mph duck at Nelson Cruz and you dont even know what the ball is going to do. It took Dickey years of messing with it (and failing as a traditional pitcher) for him to finally give it a real shot.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
last-place-if-youre-not-first.gif
1667612872083.jpeg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I've heard that the hardest part of being a knuckleballer isnt the mechanics but the mental side. Think of the balls it takes to lob a 60mph duck at Nelson Cruz and you dont even know what the ball is going to do. It took Dickey years of messing with it (and failing as a traditional pitcher) for him to finally give it a real shot.
My dad could throw the knuckleball…
The thing would sizzle, as it swayed side to side 1’-2’ ft, only to have the bottom drop out 2’ft, just before the mitt and hit ya in the nuts or legs. Fond memories of playin’ catch with my dad.

Ps: he was drafted outta high school by the St. Louis Cardinals…he went into the Air Force for 21 yrs instead.
😁

Last edited:

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
Yeah, there's the physical and mental enjoyment... and also just plain crossing the line in to being not actually good for you. Like I said a few pages back: I want to be able to do all this and more when I'm 30yrs older. So whatever I can do to not wreck my body in the meantime while still challenging myself physically is a balance to maintain.

Long distance exercise is not bad for you.