College Football 2023

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Lots of changes going on.
NFL used to be harder to coach, but it is the opposite now with recruiting (new players plus your own team, twice a year now), NIL, transfer portal. Power Five coaches are now wanting to go to the NFL since they don't have to deal with all of that. See BC head coach, Chip Kelly etc.....
SEC & Big 10 basically threaten the NCAA
Tennessee and Virginia sue the NCAA over NIL
Player Unionization - See Dartmouth Hoops
House vs NCAA - Could bankrupt the NCAA
Pay to Play Bills - See South Carolina

I still love college football, just not as much as I used to.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
College football just continues to get more weird by the day…..
SF

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Driving away coaches, perhaps Chris Petersen saw it all coming and got out before all of this crap….

Nick Saban….at some coaching clinic

"Someone with one of the best corners in the nation (in high school) came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play," Saban said, according to Baker High School coach Steve Normand. "I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."

Nick Saban walks off the field following the loss to LSU

Head coach Nick Saban of the Alabama Crimson Tide leaves the field after a game against the LSU Tigers at Tiger Stadium Nov. 5, 2022, in Baton Rouge, La. (Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)
Normand added that Saban feels the NCAA "needs more ways and means to control it because it’s getting out of hand."

Saban later added that he lost 10 players, including a starter, to the portal already.

"One of them wanted $500,000 and for us to get his girlfriend into law school at Alabama and pay for it. I showed him the door," Saban reportedly said.
I think you’re probably spot on about Coach Peterson. This could be the thing that makes Coach Few hang it up as well.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
It has gotten out of control for sure, but to think none of this was going on behind the scenes is absurd. The top spenders in CFB will still be at the top, I don't suspect the overall successful programs will deviate much. The top 30 programs will still be the top 30 programs, only difference now is that there may be other teams that have wealthy boosters that throw their hat in the ring. It will be interesting.

Player loyalty to their teams will suffer, it's basically the NFL 2.0 now, which sucks.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When the college kids/parents/alum stop showing up and the bands are missing …….this has already started to happen but it will get worse every year. That’s how I see it. Watching King news…. they interviewed many UW alum who went to game vs Texas but said they wouldn’t be going to the Michigan game. Most said they couldn’t afford to go to game against Michigan or they didn’t want to book until they knew and after the fact it was hard to find anything decent without paying a premium. Same thing, so you’re now outpricing your biggest fan base …
. Eliminate all the bowl games and go to the D1-AA format is the only way this works out in the long run. MHO.

Bye bye rose bowl, sugar bowl, etc.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
From a fans perspective, it's adapt or quit. Alumni and other fans are still going to support their school and may even feel more of a connection by donating/NIL. The best way to recruit talent is still developing through high school which should still lead to *some local instate players and use the portal to fill holes. IMO college ball is still better than Pro football, pro ball is purely a business, the fans are following their team based on what? Going to buy a DK Metkalf jersey? Cool! Why? There are some cool traditions in the NFL, but nothing like attending a game at The Big House, Horseshoe, Camp Randall, Death Valley, UW, Oregon, Happy Valley, The Swamp etc.... The rivalries and traditions make it what it is.

In the meantime I'll continue to support UW and be a fan, i still think the good outweighs the bad.
I still see a distinct line between college and pro, but damn that line is getting blurry. I'm a long ways away from putting on a 12 jersey(TAMU says hi) and supporting contract football based on its affiliation with a city, and rent - a - players.

I haven't heard much from Duck fans because they've been buying players for years without a helluva lot to show for it, so business as usual...

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
It has gotten out of control for sure, but to think none of this was going on behind the scenes is absurd. The top spenders in CFB will still be at the top, I don't suspect the overall successful programs will deviate much. The top 30 programs will still be the top 30 programs, only difference now is that there may be other teams that have wealthy boosters that throw their hat in the ring. It will be interesting.

Player loyalty to their teams will suffer, it's basically the NFL 2.0 now, which sucks.
Waste of money imo

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
10M a year coaches whining about the 'unfairness' of the transfer portal and NIL...schedules against 'puff' teams to inflate conference records...schools slinking out of their conferences like an adulterer going out a bedroom window when hubby comes home....the coming 12 team playoff format is going to separate the winners from the grifters

Landlocked

Steelhead
UCLA “emissaries” via producers of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, are contacting Jed Fischs’ wife, promising her NIL contracts for Bravo TV, unlimited lip fillers, and plastic surgery if he ditches the dogs and flips to Westwood.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Coug and Beaver fans might find this interesting.
SF