College Football 2023

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Arizona is playing their hearts out. USC is playing so well finally. Fun game to watch.

Go Arizona !!!

The more upsets the better for Oregon, OSU, WSU and UW.
Entertaining to say the least! Great plays, but also many miscues. USC squeaks by in 3 OTs.

RCF

Life of the Party
Opportunities missed. Just think about Arizona going for 2 in first OT.

Was fun to watch for sure.

creekx

not crate trained
How so? Wouldn't it benefit UW or UO more to beat an undefeated USC?
U$C is a paper tiger and Caleb Williams is carrying them. Look at their 6 wins:
- 7 point win over an unranked team
- 3OT win over an unranked team
- 4 wins over teams with a combined 3-19 record

Looking at their remaining schedule they will be lucky to 2 or 3 more games.
@ ND
Utah
@ Cal
UW
@ Oregon
UCLA

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Here is a quote from Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops to Kentucky's donors / supporters after his team was stomped by Georgia 51-13: “I just encourage them to donate more because that’s what those teams are doing,” Stoops said on the show that streamed on Kentucky football’s Facebook page. “I can promise you Georgia, they bought some pretty good players. You’re allowed to these days. We could use some help. That’s what they look like, you know what I mean, when you have 85 of them. I encourage anybody that’s disgruntled to pony up some more.” Cash talks... Those envelopes stuffed with cash that were passed out after games 20+ years ago (and that could get you in trouble with the NCAA) are now the rule...
College football is more and more resembling international soccer where there is no salary cap and the rich can purchase the best talent. If fact, the college situation is even more fluid than the situation in International soccer where players do sign contracts and can be sold to other teams if under contract (or switch to a different team for free if their contract has expired). A college player can transfer entirely based in his/her own wishes/desires/NIL contract.
Some soccer leagues (e.g., the Dutch Erdevisie) act as feeders to the top-tier leagues, (e.g., English Premiere League, Spanish La Liga). They sell the contracts of their rising stars to the top leagues - earning revenue for their developmental squads. In college football, the top teams simply sign the top players from other teams on the free transfer.
Steve

creekx

not crate trained
Here is a quote from Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops to Kentucky's donors / supporters after his team was stomped by Georgia 51-13: “I just encourage them to donate more because that’s what those teams are doing,” Stoops said on the show that streamed on Kentucky football’s Facebook page. “I can promise you Georgia, they bought some pretty good players. You’re allowed to these days. We could use some help. That’s what they look like, you know what I mean, when you have 85 of them. I encourage anybody that’s disgruntled to pony up some more.” Cash talks... Those envelopes stuffed with cash that were passed out after games 20+ years ago (and that could get you in trouble with the NCAA) are now the rule...
College football is more and more resembling international soccer where there is no salary cap and the rich can purchase the best talent. If fact, the college situation is even more fluid than the situation in International soccer where players do sign contracts and can be sold to other teams if under contract (or switch to a different team for free if their contract has expired). A college player can transfer entirely based in his/her own wishes/desires/NIL contract.
Some soccer leagues (e.g., the Dutch Erdevisie) act as feeders to the top-tier leagues, (e.g., English Premiere League, Spanish La Liga). They sell the contracts of their rising stars to the top leagues - earning revenue for their developmental squads. In college football, the top teams simply sign the top players from other teams on the free transfer.
Steve
How long before they start back-loading these NIL deals, with escalations for each year you stick around?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
How long before they start back-loading these NIL deals, with escalations for each year you stick around?

I’m waiting for the first true NIL holdout or contract restructuring demand.
We had kind of the first holdout already with the kid (QB) who is now at ASU not enrolling due to Florida not coming through with the NIL deal they offered.
Trade demands shouldn’t be too far behind. Fresno St trades their star receiver to Ohio State for two 2nd teamers and a NIL / transfer portal player to be named later. 😉

NIL will start affecting the NFL draft as well as kids can make more money in college in some cases rather than coming out early.
Caleb Williams will be a interesting case to watch moving forward.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The uniforms will look like NASCAR in a few years, as sponsors will want recognition for all the NIL money they give schools. If the kid can't generate enough money from his play, they cut him loose and get the next guy... no ROI, no play.

'This QB brought to you by Dick's...after the game be sure to grab a bag of Dick's on your way home'

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Any thoughts on the big game Saturday ?
I think the Coogs bounce back and take it 31-20.
🙂

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any thoughts on the big game Saturday ?
I think the Coogs bounce back and take it 31-20.
🙂
Yeah AZ was no breeze by any imagination for the UW or USC. So good proving point for Wazzu but it ain’t gonna be that easy I fear. AZ a good team just trying to find itself and when they do. 😬

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
The UW/Ore game sets the stage for conference title. It is so important for both teams!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The UW/Ore game sets the stage for conference title. It is so important for both teams!
Until week 7. Then week 8 and then week 9 and 11 -and 12. 😉 the way the the real PAC 12 Works !!!

It’s a real conference…. Always nothing given - nothing taken only earned !
The heart of the PAC 12 😃

It’s damn hard to win it. !!!

RCF

Life of the Party
Until week 7. Then week 8 and then week 9 and 11 -and 12. 😉 the way the the real PAC 12 Works !!!

It’s a real conference…. Always nothing given - nothing taken only earned !
The heart of the PAC 12 😃

It’s damn hard to win it. !!!
And then the conference is gone. POOF!

RCF

Life of the Party
Whether Colorado wins or loses I would NOT want to be in the team performance review meeting tomorrow.

Dead ball penalties, mental mistakes, numerous too many on the field, Stanford throws same exact pass 5 or 6 times in a row.

Colorado ahead 29 - 0 at half and lose it in double OT...

Last edited:

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My Ducks are invading the evil empire of the north and the line is dawgs by 2 1/2. Whoever wins this one is likely to run the table. Should be a good game.

Flymph

Steelhead
Stanford without their best receiver and Colorado with their best guy back still couldn't do it. This after Stanford had a 4-game losing streak. Hype can go so far than heart takes over. Outstanding performance by Stanford QB and WR picking on Colorado's stud. Lombardi football at its best; find the opponent's best and attack him.