College Football 2023

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Everyone wanted a true national champion…. A real nfl style format in football…. This is what you get. Rivalry’s gone, true history gone, lost fun road trips for UW fans (to Pullman, Corvallis and Eugene 🤢 etc. and vice versa for other schools.) You wanted a professional college league. NIL/ paying players and college coaches making more than many NFL coaches. You’re gonna get your wish. Someone threw this out there and I could see it happening so easily in near future. . There will be a premier conference of 24 or so teams. It will be much like European soccer. There will be a few teams dropped every year and a few added or to replace those underperforming teams based on wins and losses, fans attendance , etc etc etc. and only they, teams in premier conference, will be eligible for national championship…. So Bye bye rose bowl and others.

It’s always greener where the money is until the college students, alumni, and the university’s supportive local fan base are shut out, turned off. I don’t see this going in the right direction. Not at all.

CRO

Steelhead
Is it just the football teams that are changing conferences or do all the athletic programs also?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is it just the football teams that are changing conferences or do all the athletic programs also?
Good question? Because some schools compete at different levels for different sports. Football is gonna become the exception I believe.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any chance of Montana State winning a national championship in football? Because it can happen in college basketball? Think we need to explore that avenue too. Just to keep it interesting. 😜

Landlocked

Steelhead
Any Pac leftovers that are relegated to the MWC are toast. TV payout to MWC members is about 6-mil. Would make more sense for OSU and WSU to go after it in independence. They could cobble double that together ala carte on streaming platforms and bodybag games. Plus they have better tv ratings than half the teams in the Pac.

This whole thing makes me sad and mad.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Will the UW games still be on TV?

I like football but have deliberately avoided getting addicted to watching every possible game. So I limit my TV game watching to just the Huskies and Seahawks.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Everyone wanted a true national champion…. A real nfl style format in football…. This is what you get. Rivalry’s gone, true history gone, lost fun road trips for UW fans (to Pullman, Corvallis and Eugene 🤢 etc. and vice versa for other schools.) You wanted a professional college league. NIL/ paying players and college coaches making more than many NFL coaches. You’re gonna get your wish. Someone threw this out there and I could see it happening so easily in near future. . There will be a premier conference of 24 or so teams. It will be much like European soccer. There will be a few teams dropped every year and a few added or to replace those underperforming teams based on wins and losses, fans attendance , etc etc etc. and only they, teams in premier conference, will be eligible for national championship…. So Bye bye rose bowl and others.

It’s always greener where the money is until the college students, alumni, and the university’s supportive local fan base are shut out, turned off. I don’t see this going in the right direction. Not at all.
First sentence pretty much tells why

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Will the UW games still be on TV?

Sure
I think OANN and Newsmax are looking at televising them...
😆

TV is the reason conferences are the way they are these days. Huskies probably land in the Big 10, so they will likely be televised in the local/ regional market. No guarantee on regional though, as some of that stuff depends a bit on how much advertising is sold locally I have heard. Fox, cbs and nbc each have some big 10 games I think, so dachshunds on in Seattle metro for sure.

creekx

not crate trained

Yep. Been a die-hard CFB fan for a long time and I am running out of fvcks to give. The intangibles that made college sports special are nearly gone.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yep. Been a die-hard CFB fan for a long time and I am running out of fvcks to give. The intangibles that made college sports special are nearly gone.

Besides Fox and ESPN, the NCAA is also a culprit in this. They had a chance to do some things pre NIL but sat on their hands and did nothing.
The transfer portal is also a complete cluster. I understand the want to play, but it also teaching kids it is easier to quit rather than working through some adversity.
SF

Mossback

Forum Supporter
The NCAA has been ineffective for so long that the TV companies just walked in and took over. The fans hated the NCAA, perceiving them as a bunch of old, entitled, empty suits who didn't have a clue. They weren't wrong of course, but the TV folks are much worse for the sport.
Profits for TV are now the sole reason for College football existence, as NIL ain't free, and conference realignment to produce max revenue is now the new normal.
Teams that can't generate large revenues, can't pay NIL, so will not be getting top recruits, and if a lower tier recruit explodes and tears it up at a smaller school, it's off to the transfer portal where a high revenue team can pay the NIL.

LOL

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The NCAA has been ineffective for so long that the TV companies just walked in and took over. The fans hated the NCAA, percieving them as a bunch of old, entitled, empty suits who didn't have a clue. They weren't wrong of course, but the TV folks are much worse for the sport.
Profits for TV are now the sole reason for College football existence, as NIL ain't free, and conference realignment to produce max revenue in now the new normal.
Teams that can't generate large revenues, can't pay NIL, so will not be getting top recruits, and if a lower tier recruit explodes and tears it up at a smaller school, it's off to the transfer portal where a high revenue team can pay the NIL.

LOL

I think it will be just a matter of time before the say top 64 football programs or so force their way out of the NCAA, likely with the help of the TV networks.
You can see the beginnings of that already happening.
SF

Mossback

Forum Supporter
Absolutely...
TV profits are now the number 1 driver of big time D-1 College Football, nothing else matters.
If your team isn't generating profits for a network it will not be televised much if at all, and potentially dropped from a conference then replaced with a better revenue generating team.
Big media markets have the edge here obviously.
Small media markets equals small revenue equals small interest by media companies...so essentially starving out the smaller market D-1 schools by default, if not by design.

Mossback

Forum Supporter
"Both schools had been “vetted and cleared” to join the Big Ten for more than a year if the financial details could be worked out between the schools, the Big Ten and the Big Ten’s television partners."

Sounds like it has been a forgone conclusion for a while now.

Mossback

Forum Supporter

"We have yet to see firm numbers on the media deal proposed by the Pac-12 and what is being offered by the Big Ten but it seems safe to say that the B1G will be able to offer the higher number even with additional travel costs considered. That becomes extra important because the Huskies are about to see a bump in their debt-service payments that were postponed during the pandemic and the proposed Pac-12 deal may not have been enough to cover them."

Can't pay the debt bills on Pac 12 money...
😅

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Maybe WSU could now reorient itself towards education? 🤣

Mossback

Forum Supporter
This is getting a little ridiculous
Plus I fucking hate it
Besides football I’m wondering how the other programs will do
Imagine the Rutgers Womens Volleyball team doing a 3,000 mile flight to play in Eugene and you have a pretty good idea of how it will play out for other sports.
😄

The conferences are so big now, that football rakings will be dependent on whether or not a team is playing the hard teams in the conference. If Ohio St. doesn't have Mich, Ore or Usc on it's schedule some years, they probably do pretty well, compared to a year with those teams scheduled.
Can't play everybody, ever year.