Coldwater mud slide

WindKnot

Steelhead
I think it's the hairpin turn after the lake on the way up to Johnson Ridge. I heard they have the whole road closed at the junction by Science and Learning Center for now though. Hopefully that changes as this one looks like it will take a while to fix!

Great aerial footage here:

Paul_

Life of the Party
I’m not sure why they would close the road at the Science and Learning Center and block access to the lake. But it appears they did. The slide is 4-5 miles past Coldwater lake.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That will take awhile to fix. Hopefully the current road closure is only temporary and access at least to the lake is opened back up soon.
SF

Obsessed

Just Hatched
From what I read, there was a mudslide closer to the lake, in addition to the bridge that was washed out at the hairpin. Sounds like the mudslide is just a clean-up operation

Paul_

Life of the Party
From USFS-
SR 504 Landslide Update! Out of an abundance of caution WSDOT has moved the road closure on State Route 504 back to milepost 43 near the Coldwater Science and Learning Center. This means that until further notice the Coldwater Lake area and Hummocks Trail will not be accessible. Please note that the Science and Learning Center is not currently open to the public. Those wishing to sight see along the SR504 corridor our encouraged to stop at the Castle Lake Viewpoint and not park in front of the closure gates on SR504. Access through these gates is needed for ongoing assessments and for emergency purposes.

Since water is still moving through the debris flow and it is still considered an active slide, no debris will be removed from the roadway until a geotechnical assessment can be made and work can proceed safely.

Given the extent of the damage to the bridge, road, power and fiber optic lines it is unlikely that Johnston Ridge Observatory will reopen to the public this season. This is a preliminary assessment. More updates will be shared in the coming days and weeks as additional information about the slide and slide damage is revealed.

We understand that this situation may cause some visitors frustration and ask for your patience and understanding as we work to keep people safe and chart the best course for repairs.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I think it's the hairpin turn after the lake on the way up to Johnson Ridge. I heard they have the whole road closed at the junction by Science and Learning Center for now though. Hopefully that changes as this one looks like it will take a while to fix!

Great aerial footage here:

About 1:40 into the video there's a good view of the upper debris flow; a bit more understandable why the USFS is exercising caution.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Hopefully they will be able to reopen Coldwater once the area settles down a bit. On the news they mentioned that going up to Johnston Ridge Observatory will most likely not happen this year. My hope is that after a few weeks they reconsider and have the closure up closer to the slide and reopen Coldwater - but they may need the lake parking area to store large equipment. It is going to be a massive repair job, and they first have to go find the funds to start the repairs and allow the area to dry up a bit before they start.

Paul_

Life of the Party
I do hope they re-evaluate and adjust their “abundance of caution” concerns in the coming days.

IMG_1688.jpeg

Fourbtgait

Steelhead
i wouldn’t worry about fishing as much as they state that the vehicles will sit there for possibly a year unless you hire a helicopter to haul them out…..
that kind of sucks