Coldwater closed

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Damn, that's a big slide. It could be quite a while before that is repaired. Ugh...

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

The landslide likely occurred due to the hot spring seeps weakening the rock in the landslide area. On top of that, hot weather that day sped up snowmelt. The whole area around Mt St Helen's is a pile of unstable ash, pumice, and boulders.

Paul_

Life of the Party
Here’s the latest info-

A few takeaways (I freely admit my takeaways may be biased because I want access to the lake again).

The main concern/reason for the closure should be safety.
From the above link-
“SAFETY
Is the area around the material that failed susceptible to more debris flows? It is possible that the unconsolidated debris may continue to slump along the edges of the initial area that failed, presenting a very localized hazard. Sediment will continue to be washed downstream.”

My takeaway, the slide is not currently an imminent danger to Coldwater Lake. It’s over 4 miles away.

I wondered why they closed the road so far from the slide.
From the link above-
“Why is there a 6-mile gap between the SR 504 closure and the slide location? The 6-mile gap between the SR 504 closure and the slide area is currently closed to the public. The Forest Service is working on a plan to safely accommodate an influx of visitors in the area.”
My takeaway, they didn’t answer the question very well. There’s a gate right past Coldwater (4 miles from the slide) they could close.

Why again is the lake closed?
From the link above-
Why are the sites currently inaccessible or closed? Coldwater Lake Recreation Area, the HUmmocks Trailhead, the south coldwater Trailhead are currently inaccessible while the rorest Service works to provide safe and adequate services for the public in these areas.
How long will these sites be closed? Coldwater Lake Picnic and Boating Recreation Site, the Hummocks Trailhead, the South Coldwater Trailhead remain closed until visitor safety concerns can be addressed.

My takeaway in regards to “adequate services for the public” and “visitor safety concerns”, do what you have been doing for the last 30 years at Coldwater Lake!

Again, the above comments could be skewed to me wanting to fish there again soon😁.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Paul,

My observation is that the USFS is like a mini NPS and not into public service, instead regarding the public (land owners in fact) as more of a nuisance who are begrudgingly tolerated.
That was my initial thought as well... this was a convenient reason for them to just close the whole area to visitors, which gives the USFS workers a break from having to work. In the same way that various government agencies seemed just a little too eager to shutter and shut down services during the pandemic.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Thanks for the info Paul, very helpful. There goes my weekend plans - I had small hopes to get up there to wet a line but No Bueno :(. Seems like they are being overly cautious and I too wonder why they don't utilize the gate just past the Coldwater turn off? Frustrating. May hit the lake south of there near Cougar - anybody been there yet this year? How is that lake looking with all the additional snow/water this year?

Peach

Paul_

Life of the Party
I received an update from my state representative on why Coldwater Lake is currently closed. Frustrating…-

“the problem right now is lack of restroom facilities at Coldwater Lake – apparently, there has been vandalism issues that have shut down those facilities, so they need to either repair them or get temporary facilities on site (port-a-potties). Apparently that’s what they meant by ‘needing to get adequate services’ at the site”

The vandalism took place over 2 years ago. So frustrating…

They had porta potties there when I fished the lake second week in May. True about the vandalism, just such wasteful and pointless behavior.

Divad

Whitefish
Private logging companies find the funds to throw up surveillance cameras on entrances while a place like Coldwater with so much infrastructure and equipment has none?

An easy reactionary tool to address vandalism, while noting the lot is under surveillance would put a cripple to crime.

Paul_

Life of the Party
Update.

The USFS has not given any updates recently.

The info I have gathered has come from other reliable sources (at least in my eyes).

Once again the lake is not closed because of safety concerns from the slide.
It is closed because the bathrooms are not functional. This has been the case for at least 2 years now. It has the appearance they are using the slide as a reason for the closure. My question is, if the slide didn’t happen, would they have closed the lake?
Apparently the USFS procurement process on getting porta potties and a supposed lack of porta potties is what is keeping the lake closed. Which sounds like a bunch of what is in said porta potties😂.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If it's been closed for two years, I and a lot of others have been breaking the law. Most of the monument and the national forest have no bathrooms, and are not closed, so I don't think it makes any sense to close coldwater for that reason. It seems like an excuse, and they probably are trying to prevent the looky Lous from the slide area. They could just as easily post the blockade at the bridge over coldwater creek.

Some friends of mine went up to do trail work at the lake this last weekend, and they hassled them a bit, but they had clearance from the monument to be in there, and after a bit of discussion they were allowed in there. Maybe they promised to hold their water.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Update.

The USFS has not given any updates recently.

The info I have gathered has come from other reliable sources (at least in my eyes).

Once again the lake is not closed because of safety concerns from the slide.
It is closed because the bathrooms are not functional. This has been the case for at least 2 years now. It has the appearance they are using the slide as a reason for the closure. My question is, if the slide didn’t happen, would they have closed the lake?
Apparently the USFS procurement process on getting porta potties and a supposed lack of porta potties is what is keeping the lake closed. Which sounds like a bunch of what is in said porta potties😂.
Man, I'm not a real "we pay taxes for that shit!" sort of guy, but.... we pay taxes, fishing licenses, forest passes, discover passes, national park passes, car tabs and probably something I'm forgetting. What is going on man?? I don't get it.

I'm happy to pay my share of taxes to keep society functioning, but I do expect our government agencies to uphold their end of the "bargain".

So frustrating.

Pez Vela

Steelhead
I think a call to any Washington Senator, or Congressman would probably change the USFS's attitude! Unfortunately .. what connections I may have had were voted out long ago.

Paul_

Life of the Party
From the USFS last Thursday (June 8)-
“Port a Potties are being delivered tomorrow and we are working on rescinding the closure order.”

A reliable source says the lake should open tomorrow (6/17). Of course the USFS hasn’t made the announcement public yet. They must not have time because they are working on “rescinding the closure order”:). It takes over a week?!?!

Hopefully today there will be an official press release from the USFS about the lake reopening.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Bummer!