Coastal Dory Fishing

A quick share of a recent coast trip:

Some good friends decided to try their luck at coastal dory fishing. It was a first for me. Launching and landing off the beach in a wooden dory was a highlight.
20220705_064038.jpg

Flies were used...
20220705_071948.jpg

Plethora of rods were bent...
DSC_0067.JPG

20220705_132323.jpg
DSC_0089 (1).JPG
20220705_132530.jpg

The net got coho scaly...
DSC_0075.JPG

And an added bonus to these feisty hard-pulling coastal Black Rockfish is that they make great ceviche.
20220705_132651~2.jpg
20220711_125441.jpg

Cheers!

20220705_142629.jpg

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Great looking boat. Would love to know more about it. Edit: As well as the ceviche.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Looks like you had perfect water conditions I have fished this fishery for a long time and a blast. Weather can sometimes be rough and when its flat like that I love fishing poppers which still amazes me on open water they will come up. Thanks for the report I will hit be there at the end of the month hopefully the wind is down and it’s that flat for me.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Pacific City Fly Fishing is another outfit. Great time. Some crab pots early am. Head out for rockfish. Used their gear. 8/9 weight Shakespeare fly rods with 30 foot 300 grain heads and a clouser type fly. Amazing day. Come in leave your cooler and go grab some lunch at Pelicans …..go back and pick up your catch all prepped and on ice in your cooler(s). Leave a generous tip 😉. You got crab Louie salad, crab Mac and cheese, crab cakes, fish tacos, fish n chips. We usually hit it second day of a 7-8 day vacation. So the next few days have grub at base camp wherever that might be. Rockaway, Gearhart, Cannon Beach, etc

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah. I thought I read something like that earlier in the spring… building a house or something? But wasn’t sure if back or not? Thought it was a temporary thing didn’t realize a season X 2 thing.

SteelheadBee

Steelhead
Great looking boat. Would love to know more about it. Edit: As well as the ceviche.
It is a lovely dory. Rob Perkin built it himself. Not knowing much about dories, all I can add is that it was comfortable for 4 anglers (max capacity) and the captain. The trip starts around 0630 launching from the beach. Rob provides the gear unless you prefer to bring your own. Chasing salmon in the morning and then rockfish in the afternoon. We head back to the beach around 230ish and meet up at the nearby beach cottage where the host cleans the catch of the day.

As far as the ceviche, pretty simple! Sliced red onions & rockfish chunks in a bowl, drizzle in freshly squeezed lime juice. While marinating: chop tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeno peppers and cilantro. Add these to the bowl with salt and pepper to taste and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 45mins.

Top your tostada with ceviche and maybe green hot sauce and crack open a beverage! Tastes better in flip-flops (but not required). Cheers
Looks like you had perfect water conditions I have fished this fishery for a long time and a blast. Weather can sometimes be rough and when its flat like that I love fishing poppers which still amazes me on open water they will come up. Thanks for the report I will hit be there at the end of the month hopefully the wind is down and it’s that flat for me.
You're not kidding about the glassy conditions. So calm you could see an anchovy fart. I wish we had used poppers. The rockfish started to get closer to the surface nearing the time we had to end the trip (and I think we lost the only floating line to a salmon from a bad connection early on in the day). Please let us know how you do with the surface action at the end of this month...That would be a thrill.
That looks like Rob Perkin's dory - https://connectoutfitters.com/
Indeed it is!

Last edited:

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah. I thought I read something like that earlier in the spring… building a house or something? But wasn’t sure if back or not? Thought it was a temporary thing didn’t realize a season X 2 thing.
I visited with Jack a few weeks ago... I think he said he'll be 80 this year and is getting to where he isn't doing much guiding anymore. John is still super busy building homes - contractors are in high demand on the coast right now. I got the sense that the no more guiding thing might be permanent. He does still have his little fly shop and the bargain prices!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
During the previous decade spent many an hour fly fishing with my friend Jack. He came up from Santa Cruz decades back, where he was in charge of maintaining the municipal pier. In his younger days Jack was a highly noted competition free diving spear fisher, would travel to SoCal to compete in the inshore kelp bed tourneys and often won.
Between Jack and his buddy Jay Nicholas (also a friend), no two men know more about swinging for King's on OR rivers, or have caught more Kings.