Clicker on euro nymph rod?

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Hey,

I recently upgraded my euro nymphing rod from an original series Moonshine Epiphany to a Cortland Competition MKii. The vintage Martin clicker matched well with the Epiphany but is too heavy for the new rod.

Who's using a light clicker on your euro rod? What model? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Jason

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I had been using the Sage Click in the largest size for a little bit, but it was a bit light for my liking. While not a clicker, I'm loving the Danielsson DryFly (it has a compression drag with several sets of ball bearing....I actually loved it so much I bought 2 additional sizes). But it balances out my Redington Strike (the 10'6" 3wt) perfectly, so the next size down would probably be more appropriate for your Cortland if that type of thing tickles your fancy.

The problem I found is that the vast majority of modern clickers are just too light (I did add a little bit of T12 underneath the backing on my Click, but it still wasn't quite enough.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
The ideal euro reel will have...
  • Super large arbor
  • Narrow spool
  • Full frame
You will be hard pressed to find many clickers that meet all those criteria. The Hardy Ultraclick is the only reel that I can think of. The arbor isn't large enough on the Ross Colorado reels, IMO.

In any case, given that the drag basically doesn't matter, why does it need to be a clicker? There's a few great reels available, for less than an Ultraclick.
  • Danielsson Original Series DryFly
  • Vision Hero Nymph & Dry
  • Greys Tail 3/4
Like @clarkman, I am partial to the Danielsson. I own the Vision reel as well and it is objectively a better reel, but it is nowhere near as cool as the Danielsson.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
If either the pawl or gears are plastic it isn’t a clicker in my books, but a clacker.

I run the Martin 67ss on mine. Any metal on metal clicker will have a small arbor and how you fill that arbor will depict how heavy your reel is.

Less weight options: various braid options (go 50lb), gel spun, mono.