Claybabies - Now I gotta keep my eyes out for them on puget sound salt shores

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I always enjoyed bringing home unusual rocks collected from waters around the world where I have fished. Here are a few that were sitting on the fireplace. The brownish volcanic one is from a Kamchatka river, the Sopochanya, the smaller gray one from the Ruakituri on the north island of NZ and the large schmoo, a granitic rock from a famous BC steelhead stream. Often wondered what kind of story it has to tell.

PXL_20231021_231733378.jpg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I had never heard of "claybabies" before. Very interesting!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Clay babies are quite common in areas around the sound with bluffs.
Hag stones are tougher to find.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
There are a bunch of those on the middle Middle Fork...around the clay banks left over from ancient glacial lake sediments. Never heard them called that before. Many of them end up looking pretty phallic.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
One of the coolest places I remember visiting as a kid on our boat trips to BC were the Canadian Gulf Islands. The small islands had caves carved out from the water actions over time. This islands seemed like ginormous clay babies.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Rocks!
When I first met my wife she had a box of rocks. Since 1982 I have moved that box of rocks twice in CO, twice in TX, twice in VA, and three times here in WA. These rocks have also been moved from one box to an upgraded, more sturdy type of box several times. Someday...she is going to do something with them...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Rocks!
When I first met my wife she had a box of rocks. Since 1982 I have moved that box of rocks twice in CO, twice in TX, twice in VA, and three times here in WA. These rocks have also been moved from one box to an upgraded, more sturdy type of box several times. Someday...she is going to do something with them...
I guess at least she doesn’t keep asking for a new rock?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
decades ago, took a last wave after a way fun session at a fave surf spot, a hike in off the radar, and this rock was sitting right in front of when I landed on the beach, been with me ever since...the talismans we empower are a reflection of the space within
IMG_20231022_114234410.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I always enjoyed bringing home unusual rocks collected from waters around the world where I have fished. Here are a few that were sitting on the fireplace. The brownish volcanic one is from a Kamchatka river, the Sopochanya, the smaller gray one from the Ruakituri on the north island of NZ and the large schmoo, a granitic rock from a famous BC steelhead stream. Often wondered what kind of story it has to tell.

View attachment 87103
The large one with the hole looks like it was hydraulically drilled. A rock hit that one just right during a flood and started to spin until it drilled through it. I'm not totally sure, but the spiral pattern looks suspiciously like the threads on a drill.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
The large one with the hole looks like it was hydraulically drilled. A rock hit that one just right during a flood and started to spin until it drilled through it. I'm not totally sure, but the spiral pattern looks suspiciously like the threads on a drill.
How would you guess this one was formed?

PXL_20231022_204635895~2.jpg