Chorizo Recipe

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a favorite recipe they’re willing to share? I’ve tried a couple from the internet but haven’t been impressed so I figure I’d ask the collective.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I used to make chorizo when I lived in Austin because I couldn't find any that I liked (weird, right?). It's been a while, but I got it pretty good. I like it dry and crumbly and about a 5/10 on the spice scale. I would still make my own, but there's a guy up the road at the local Mexican market that hits the nail on the head.

Here's the recipe I started with and tweaked - I add an additional tablespoon of ancho and throw in 2 tablespoons of guajillo powder. The guajillo adds an authentic flavor and savory sweetness that I remember bringing it up a notch. I prefer making my own powders over store bought. I also don't use cayenne.

I also cut the vinegar volume in about half.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I used to make chorizo when I lived in Austin because I couldn't find any that I liked (weird, right?). It's been a while, but I got it pretty good. I like it dry and crumbly and about a 5/10 on the spice scale. I would still make my own, but there's a guy up the road at the local Mexican market that hits the nail on the head.

Here's the recipe I started with and tweaked - I add an additional tablespoon of ancho and throw in 2 tablespoons of guajillo powder. The guajillo adds an authentic flavor and savory sweetness that I remember bringing it up a notch. I prefer making my own powders over store bought. I also don't use cayenne.

I also cut the vinegar volume in about half.

Hope this helps.

100% agree with liking it more dry and crumbly.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Always grind your dried chiles right before using for max flavor...the store bought powders are almost always old. Paprika loses its flavor about as quick as any spice, just a few months.

We use this recipe, and I cut back the ancho by a couple and use a couple more Pasilla de Oaxaca. They are different than regular Pasillas, smoke dried and very good in a lot of things.
Also add some smoked pimenton.
Has a smoky flavor we like.