Chironomid Pics

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Does anybody have pictures of chironomids that they have pumped from fish? I'm looking for Ideas to keep me tying new combos that will work.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
What an interesting variety - I assume daphnia with the leech? The third picture, I wonder what time of year compared to the last given how much more formed the midges are in the last? The third picture is really interesting with chironomids, scuds, damselfly nymph(s), daphnia and who knows what else! Awesome, Rod!
All of these were early season from the last couple years. All from different lakes. That third picture was wild. I did not expect that kind of abundance or variety from a single sample! The chironomids in those pictures came during peak hatch periods. As you well know we don’t always see chrome!

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I kept a bleeder and this was the stomach contents. The ant was just your basic kitchen-sized ant, not one of the big forest types that carry off your chihuahua. These chironomids were TINY.

2ECD043E-50DE-4F3E-B398-AA9F87A4F533.jpeg

My attempt to match the size.
1CCCDC11-0F68-45FE-B0F7-4E104945085F.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Ha ha that one stood out to me too. I thought it was olive with a red butt though.

A red butt on any color works well, especially on olive, brown or black but works on chromies also.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Scudly - I guess I'm not "doingitright" because the picture isn't from a throat pump:

gutbomb.JPG

Troutpocket calls this pattern a "gutbomb"; the natural and fly look quite alike (and since this was on a Canadian lake), eh!