Chironomid Hooks?

tkww

Steelhead
My preference has been scud hooks--current choice is the Daiichi 1150 because of the up eye. But the 2xl curved seems to be most popular.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Firehole 718. Sticky, barbless and very strong. The sz 16 have been out for months. Avid have them but the good sizes are out or were every time I looked the past yr 😀

Dave
I like the Firehole 718's too (striaght eye). I also like Alec Jackson covert nymph hooks (down eye) and Maruto C40HW (Striaght eye, you can get them in Canada, not the US).

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Kona BC2 are great scud hooks for chironomids and nymphs.

Not a huge fan of Firehole due to their hooks sizes being a complete mismatch with my size expectations. When I buy a #14 I don’t want a #10 labeled as a #14.

Last edited:

ABITNF

Steelhead
Maruto c40HW #18 is perfect.

c40hw.png

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Kona BC2 are great scud hooks for chironomids and nymphs.

Not a huge fan of Firehole due to their hooks sizes being a complete mismatch with my size expectations. When I buy a #14 I don’t want a #10 labeled as a #14.
Yeah, I think this is why they’re out of 16s, really a 14. The AJ hooks are odd too as they’re off sized, e.g. 13, 15 etc.

Dave

Smalma

Life of the Party
The last several years I have been experimenting with Daiichi # 1160 "the Klinkhamer Hook". Have been pleased with the hook-up rates and even better hooked to landed ratios.

Curt

Reactions: Zak

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Maruto c40HW #18 is perfect.

View attachment 55182
I like something with a little bigger hook gap.

The last several years I have been experimenting with Daiichi # 1160 "the Klinkhamer Hook". Have been pleased with the hook-up rates and even better hooked to landed ratios.

Curt
Are these "true" sized? They look to be wider gaped than the 200R style hooks.

After tying for a week or so on a lot of different hooks, (with more on the way) I have a few clear favorites so far;
Gamakatsu C12 Scud in #12 & 14
Hanak H310 BL Buzzer #12 - #16
And a surprise entry, Owner 5177-011 Mosquito Hook #10

I've got some others sitting here to try out and some others on the way. As I mentioned above I kind of favor the wider gaped hooks.

I have noticed that some I try to order are out of stock. Must be tying season!
Thanks for the replies...

Smalma

Life of the Party
Yes they are wider gaped than the 200R, with a shorter shank and lighter wire.

I found that the 1160 is a sort of a hybrid between a scud hook and what has been more traditionally used (say a 1760). And I feel a better shank shape.

Curt

spooky007

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Daiichi 1760’s or the Togens… The Togens are slightly longer which I like when tying a smaller chronie..