Chili Verde

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Resurrecting a post from long ago. I make a version based on the recipe provided by Slim’s Last Chance in Seattle that was featured on the Food Network. It’s become an annual thing and I sometimes double up and freeze the leftovers.

I use the recipe to shop for ingredients and set proportions. But my process has changed to cut down the time and mess. When the chiles and tomatillos are available at my farmers market, sometime in August, I buy them and roast them on my gas grill. A mix of Anaheim and Poblanos is really good. Add jalapeños or whatever heat source you prefer to taste. I use a grill basket to cook the tomatillos, onions, and garlic until soft. Peel and seed the chiles- I recommend wearing gloves- and put everything in a gallon ziplock and freeze.

When the weather turns enough to make a chili feed sound good it’s time to complete the process. Get the pork shoulder and trim and chop to bite sized pieces. In a big pot brown the pork then set aside. Thaw the frozen ingredients and add to the pot with broth and dry spices. Once everything’s simmering, use a stick blender until it looks right. Add the pork and keep simmering for a couple hours. The masa flour roux is optional but I like it. Serve with your favorite toppings.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Resurrecting a post from long ago. I make a version based on the recipe provided by Slim’s Last Chance in Seattle that was featured on the Food Network. It’s become an annual thing and I sometimes double up and freeze the leftovers.

I use the recipe to shop for ingredients and set proportions. But my process has changed to cut down the time and mess. When the chiles and tomatillos are available at my farmers market, sometime in August, I buy them and roast them on my gas grill. A mix of Anaheim and Poblanos is really good. Add jalapeños or whatever heat source you prefer to taste. I use a grill basket to cook the tomatillos, onions, and garlic until soft. Peel and seed the chiles- I recommend wearing gloves- and put everything in a gallon ziplock and freeze.

When the weather turns enough to make a chili feed sound good it’s time to complete the process. Get the pork shoulder and trim and chop to bite sized pieces. In a big pot brown the pork then set aside. Thaw the frozen ingredients and add to the pot with broth and dry spices. Once everything’s simmering, use a stick blender until it looks right. Add the pork and keep simmering for a couple hours. The masa flour roux is optional but I like it. Serve with your favorite toppings.
I mean I'll carry a stove in to reheat...just saying 😁

dep

Steelhead
super easy Chili Verde:

3 lbs pork (I prefer country style ribs, blade or pork shoulder) cut into 3/4" cubes
2 medium onions chopped
3-4 tblspns garlic
one large jar of green salsa (your brand, your heat level)
2 large cans green chiles chopped

add a little oil into the dutch oven and brown the pork. onions and garlic.
once browned, add the jar of salsa, put on the lid and place in oven at 325 degrees for 2.5 hours. stir occasionally.
add the green chiles and cook another 30-45 minutes till pork is fork tender.

Shad

Life of the Party
I love chile verde. I prefer Hatch Chiles (mostly the milder Big Jim variety, mixed with a few of the hotter "Hatch" variety), and while traditional recipes don't call for them, I love the tangy flavor adding a few tomatillos brings.

I recently discovered the "505" brand of canned chiles at Costco. They add a little more lime and salt than I would like, but as long as you back off on those ingredients in your recipe, they work great and save a TON of time and effort roasting, peeling, and dicing chiles. Still better from scratch, but it's so much easier to make the chile with those steps eliminated that it's usually the way I go anymore.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I love chile verde. I prefer Hatch Chiles (mostly the milder Big Jim variety, mixed with a few of the hotter "Hatch" variety), and while traditional recipes don't call for them, I love the tangy flavor adding a few tomatillos brings.

I recently discovered the "505" brand of canned chiles at Costco. They add a little more lime and salt than I would like, but as long as you back off on those ingredients in your recipe, they work great and save a TON of time and effort roasting, peeling, and dicing chiles. Still better from scratch, but it's so much easier to make the chile with those steps eliminated that it's usually the way I go anymore.
The 505 brand in the jar is very good stuff. I can see the why you would choose those.

For an annual event, I don’t mind doing the steps for this one. Fresh ingredients are available and I’ve already optimized the process.

dep

Steelhead
I've used the 505's and they work well. sometimes the seeds are a bit tough.
A traditional chili verde (at least what my mom's recipe, which was handed down from her mom) calls for a few tablespoons of tomato paste.
I don't add it myself.
guess I should give up her spanish rice recipe too.
all in good time my pretty.....(witched witch on the Wizard of Oz)

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I roast my chilies and tomatillos on the grill using a propane weed burner. Makes short work of it without over cooking the flesh of the chilies.

Shad

Life of the Party
I roast my chilies and tomatillos on the grill using a propane weed burner. Makes short work of it without over cooking the flesh of the chilies.
I prefer to do it that way, but these days, I only have access to an oven. Good news is that tossing the chiles, garlic, and tomatillos in oil, then roasting them until brown and bubbly works almost as well.

If I ever have place to burn stuff again, I'll have a hopper for fire roasting chiles, onions, and the like. Nothing like the smell of fire roasting chiles....

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
while traditional recipes don't call for them, I love the tangy flavor adding a few tomatillos brings.
Wait, whaa? I thought tomatillos were pretty standard in chili verde.

Just saw this version online. Kenji has never really steered me wrong. Might be worth a shot. https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe

I also ate a bowl of labor intensive chili verde out of the freezer tonight. The finished product freezes pretty damn well. It was great.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Wait, whaa? I thought tomatillos were pretty standard in chili verde.

Just saw this version online. Kenji has never really steered me wrong. Might be worth a shot. https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe

I also ate a bowl of labor intensive chili verde out of the freezer tonight. The finished product freezes pretty damn well. It was great.
I’m gonna have to try that recipe. The instant pot does a good job with carnitas and Hawaiian kalua pork.

Bagman

Steelhead
It’s green/ verde but it’s not chili it’s called pozoli. it is about the same as manudo but my wife can not stand the thought of eating tripe so when a friend from socal gave me this recipe I cooked it up for my wife and she now asks me to make It for her. Like last night

Attachments

• 7751E1BC-09A0-453D-B443-4C738D17E239.jpeg
    7751E1BC-09A0-453D-B443-4C738D17E239.jpeg
    699.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 63F40542-A06A-4C8E-90BB-6C0799BF2441.jpeg
    63F40542-A06A-4C8E-90BB-6C0799BF2441.jpeg
    844.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1150DB6A-B366-420D-B1C7-F25E58530405.jpeg
    1150DB6A-B366-420D-B1C7-F25E58530405.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 25

Bagman

Steelhead
Pozole is amazing. Try it with seafood instead of pork; whatever you got: white fish, shrimp, calamari, etc. top with cilantro, shredded cabbage and radish.
I’m not a radish fan but my wife always has some on hand. I add some chilies, and fresh onions and oregano, lime, and eat with a few corn tortilla. I also make it with chicken in red chilly sauce. Leftover Cisco chicken is great.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I got out the last of my chili verde from the freezer and took some inspiration from this thread. I made a batch of hominy from dry and added it to the chili.
64398770-A80C-4733-8BB4-FD06F2416500.jpeg
Really good flavor and texture.

Only a couple more months before the local ingredients are available at my farmers market!

Things I learned about hominy…a pound of dry hominy will absorb 8 cups of water while simmering for less than an hour. Adding baking soda to the water to help break down the coarse exterior causes the water to foam up; use a large pot!

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Today’s the day. Pulled out the roasted chilies, onions, garlic, and tomatillos from the freezer. I got these at the farmers market and roasted them on my gas grill.
B5537308-CC35-46B2-A849-92B18A39BC3B.jpeg

Prepped the hominy from dry.
4DBB1989-13F4-43C7-92F0-A8A37AFA2B4E.jpeg

Browned the pork.
F2A5C890-D8B7-4648-8CD6-2212554B3CBA.jpeg

Combined the chilies with some broth and went at it with a stick blender.
50EC1AAB-8754-4403-A591-1AAB9A552854.jpeg

Added the dry spices and meat for a 2 hour simmer. Then added the hominy.
14EFC2DD-CBC3-4F6B-824B-06BB717528BC.jpeg

Corn bread too.
740D8298-90A2-4BC6-9B20-D835BCDCC9AB.jpeg

Now to chop some green onions, cilantro, and avocado for toppings and it’ll be time to eat!