SFR Chickens..

Sorta fishing-related

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
On my grandfather’s farm where he raised chickens commercially they slaughtered chickens the old fashioned way like you described. Us kids would catch the things the men would chop the heads. Sometimes they would kill two at a time and bet on which one would flop the longest. The girls and women would hot bath the dead birds, pluck and clean them. My grandparents backyard where all this carnage took place would be covered with blood and chicken feathers. And after a couple hours of killing, plucking, cleaning and cutting up chickens we had fried chicken for dinner.
Sounds like my childhood

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My neighbor had about 1200 chickens in three long sheds. My father and the neighbor drank beer while neighbors son and I feed and watered the damn things. I itch this day from the thought of those sheds.
I was saved by the Columbus day storm. It blew those sheds apart. Chickens were scattered over east Multnomah county. The sheds were never rebuilt.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
A documentary on Netf..x about chicken people, like the Westminster of dogs… I was entertained to say the least, and learned some too. I draw the line at dressing chickens up tho, that’s wacky! I’m not gonna lie, I’m sorta kinda interested in raising birds, but not chickens. More on the lines of pheasants for me. You a chicken person?
Well I have a working farm that has laying chickens. They free-range in their own pasture. But wouldn't say I'm a chicken person. We have pigs and veal calves too. Just going with the flow on our small farm.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
BTW, we were in the country with lots of tall grass and brush. Chet, the neighbor, would wring heads off, he was always in a hurry. Can't tell you how many headless chickens ended up lost. Amazing how far they could run.
Blood and chickens everywhere. Us kids were to catch them. Again, Thank you Columbus day storm.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My neighbor had about 1200 chickens in three long sheds. My father and the neighbor drank beer while neighbors son and I feed and watered the damn things. I itch this day from the thought of those sheds.
I was saved by the Columbus day storm. It blew those sheds apart. Chickens were scattered over east Multnomah county. The sheds were never rebuilt.

You should see the feral chickens of Hawaii. They are everywhere. Even in Downtown Honolulu.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
You should see the feral chickens of Hawaii. They are everywhere. Even in Downtown Honolulu.
Oh I thought they were only on Kauai? I saw them everywhere when I was there in 2001. The story was that years ago they got loose from a farm during a big storm but ended up flourishing in the wild.

I've been to the big island a few times since but never saw them there. But it makes sense that if they proliferated like that one one island they would do so on the others once a few got loose.

I remember them as being very colorful and there was some nickname for them like "Island Road Rooster" or something. I think I bought a T-shirt with that on it.

-andy

Chadk

Life of the Party
I want to get some this year. We will see if I can pull it off...Never had chickens. We have a SERIOUS raccoon problem. The raptors are around too. I think I will put up cyclone fence.
A good dog will do the trick. Just the scent can be a deterrent. A live trap is also good to have around. Disappeared a few raccoons, possums, and even a chicken killing stray cat over the years...

Chadk

Life of the Party
On my grandfather’s farm where he raised chickens commercially they slaughtered chickens the old fashioned way like you described. Us kids would catch the things the men would chop the heads. Sometimes they would kill two at a time and bet on which one would flop the longest. The girls and women would hot bath the dead birds, pluck and clean them. My grandparents backyard where all this carnage took place would be covered with blood and chicken feathers. And after a couple hours of killing, plucking, cleaning and cutting up chickens we had fried chicken for dinner.
Sounds fun - but a kill cone solves a lot of the mess...

Chadk

Life of the Party
I've raised many types of chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, quail, and other animals. Something worth considering if you just want to try your hand at it would be coturnix quail. You can raise them for eggs and meat. Easy to care for and not quite the room and predator issues as you'll have with chickens.

Chadk

Life of the Party
How about Guinea fowl?
View attachment 3823
I’ll bet feathers like that would make for some bitchin’ flies.
You gotta be set up right for them. Always wanted to give them a try - for their bug eating abilities as well as early alarm for trespassers/guests. But they are no respecters of fences, so you really need a lot of space or at least understanding neighbors... Kinda like peacocks I guess - go where they want and make lots of annoying noise...

kerrys

Ignored Member
Sounds fun - but a kill cone solves a lot of the mess...
Perhaps. This was an efficient operation. The backyard in question was fenced keeping the birds contained. Usually two people were loping off heads. There could be 8 to 10 headless chickens flopping around at any given time. Those of us that were catching chickens would also pick up the dead birds and deliver them to the women and girls processing them. There was also usually two rows of tables setup for plucking and processing the birds. It was quite the function with several of the neighbors joining in. I believe they likely got some bird and a supply of eggs for their efforts. My grandfather raised chickens mostly for the eggs. This was before the big super markets. He supplied many of the small local stores with eggs and I’m sure he had a decent drop by business also. I remember at times he would sell chicks.

B

bennysbuddy

I like that feral chicken part of Hawaii. It gives the place some local charm & think of all those fee eggs.