CHARt topper

I have been on a low-key mission to shake fins with a WA mackinaw for a couple of years now. Last year was my first true attempt and a pretty disappointing one with nary a bump from the depth dwellers. This year I went in with more of a plan targeting a shelf between 30 and 40 feet deep. Which is a really long wait even with a type 6.
Screenshot_20230416-104530_Gallery.jpg
This hike is loved by seasoned outdoor enthusiasts and the woefully unprepared alike (I saw someone "hiking" in leather pants.) Crowds are thankfully thinner at the lake. This has become an early alpine lake season trip to knock off the wintertime rust. With float tube, fishing gear and etc makes for a moderate to strenuous hike.

From the launch, I was almost immediately rewarded with a scrappy cutt that I think bit off a little more than he could chew.
20230415_092800.jpg

Soon enough we make it to the water above the shelf and I start the "dredge"- Lots of line out, long wait, then strip in about 10-15 feet, let it back out, fin a little, then strip in some more, change direction, and rinse and repeat.

Soon I was into something heavy, that didn't want to budge. I cleared my line and got the fish on the reel. With a DEEP bend in the glass 6wt, I finally saw my quarry come up close enough to get an ID that it was indeed the laker I was hunting.
20230416_120555.jpg

At this point, I am excited and a little scared. Something is going to give. Either the rod, the knots in my 3x flouro, or the fish. Each time I got him toward the surface, he would take a hard dive straight for the bottom. I was incredibly surprised. This fish had the fight of a large brown but with more juice in the tank. So much fun. After a lifetime or 5 minutes, not sure, I got him in the net. (glad I packed the bigger boat net.) Wowee, absolutely gorgeous specimen of invasive species. no official length, but he was too big for the stripping apron, so around the 2-foot mark. give or take. After a couple photos, it was released back to the inky depths.
20230415_101943.jpg
20230415_101947.jpg
20230415_101950.jpg

With adrenaline still surging I caught a couple more feisty cutts, but my day was done. Despite the sore shoulders and cranky knees, I'm ready for the next Mack Attack!
20230416_120515.jpg

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
A Laker is on my species bucket list as well, I have never caught one on a fly or any other method.
I have a plan to go after one later this summer - I think in the same Alpine Lake as this. This report provides some timely and awesome motivation.

Thanks for sharing.

Peach

Islander

Life of the Party
Great trip and super pics. Congrats on your successful mission. I have a couple species specific trips planned for this year once the snow clears in the mountains.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Great report.
Many years ago I read a report about a lake in Washington where people stated they were catching Splake. I know there are brookies in the lake, but I’ve never seen reports of lakers there. There are bull trout there though.
Anyone know for a fact that Splake exist in any Washington waters and could a bull / brookie hybrid be possible?
SF

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A Laker is on my species bucket list as well, I have never caught one on a fly or any other method.
I have a plan to go after one later this summer - I think in the same Alpine Lake as this. This report provides some timely and awesome motivation.

Thanks for sharing.

Peach
From what I understand late fall and early spring are the best times to go for them. Summer is when they go deep. This lake is touching a 100 feet deep. If I were to try to get to them in summer I would go early and stay late. Hoping to intercept as the rolled up in to the near shallows. Jigging straight down would be a good method, This lake does have better than average cutthroat too pass the time.

I have been on a low-key mission to shake fins with a WA mackinaw for a couple of years now. Last year was my first true attempt and a pretty disappointing one with nary a bump from the depth dwellers. This year I went in with more of a plan targeting a shelf between 30 and 40 feet deep. Which is a really long wait even with a type 6.
View attachment 61951
This hike is loved by seasoned outdoor enthusiasts and the woefully unprepared alike (I saw someone "hiking" in leather pants.) Crowds are thankfully thinner at the lake. This has become an early alpine lake season trip to knock off the wintertime rust. With float tube, fishing gear and etc makes for a moderate to strenuous hike.

From the launch, I was almost immediately rewarded with a scrappy cutt that I think bit off a little more than he could chew.
View attachment 61952

Soon enough we make it to the water above the shelf and I start the "dredge"- Lots of line out, long wait, then strip in about 10-15 feet, let it back out, fin a little, then strip in some more, change direction, and rinse and repeat.

Soon I was into something heavy, that didn't want to budge. I cleared my line and got the fish on the reel. With a DEEP bend in the glass 6wt, I finally saw my quarry come up close enough to get an ID that it was indeed the laker I was hunting.
View attachment 61962

At this point, I am excited and a little scared. Something is going to give. Either the rod, the knots in my 3x flouro, or the fish. Each time I got him toward the surface, he would take a hard dive straight for the bottom. I was incredibly surprised. This fish had the fight of a large brown but with more juice in the tank. So much fun. After a lifetime or 5 minutes, not sure, I got him in the net. (glad I packed the bigger boat net.) Wowee, absolutely gorgeous specimen of invasive species. no official length, but he was too big for the stripping apron, so around the 2-foot mark. give or take. After a couple photos, it was released back to the inky depths.
View attachment 61966
View attachment 61967
View attachment 61968

With adrenaline still surging I caught a couple more feisty cutts, but my day was done. Despite the sore shoulders and cranky knees, I'm ready for the next Mack Attack!
View attachment 61963
That is some serious depth! I admire your patience.