Changing luck

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I was in Mexico recently fishing for tarpon and permit. While it was a success with tarpon and other species, we had a hard time finding permit out in the flats. Guides took me to three different flats but no permit to be found.

PXL_20230705_154624629.jpg

He said maybe I should crack open a Modelo to change our luck, I said nah I don't drink and alcohol would mess up my casting.

Thinking back I now regret that, maybe I should have? A little sip and spill some overboard? Perhaps it would have turned our luck? Who knows? :)

What are some things folks do to change the luck?

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I was in Mexico recently fishing for tarpon and permit. While it was a success with tarpon and other species, we had a hard time finding permit out in the flats. Guides took me to three different flats but no permit to be found.

View attachment 72827

He said maybe I should crack open a Modelo to change out luck, I said nah I don't drink and alcohol would mess up my casting.

Thinking back I now regret that, maybe I should have? A little sip and spill some overboard? Perhaps it would have turned our luck? Who knows? :)

A little Cheeto dust on my fly from said snacks?

But seriously, While maybe not practical on a guided boat, a nap does wonders for me.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party

View attachment 72827

He said maybe I should crack open a Modelo to change out luck, I said nah I don't drink and alcohol would mess up my casting.

My best change for luck is to sit down and “enter the matrix”. Just meditate quietly and think about the conditions and the options. Make a new plan. It works!

cedarslug

Steelhead
Heh I've been trying numerous things for years, and I continuously go back to shouting "EAT, EAT, EAT" until I get a bite. 50% of the time it changes my luck, but 100% of the time it changes my frustrations into laughter

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Put in a fresh dip, take in the trees, ridgetops and mountains, let the nicotine start to surge and then step back in for the next thousand casts. Granted it doesn't work very well but that's my program.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Hire a new guide?

Tallguy

Steelhead
Also, having spent time in Mexico, a Modelo will never change your luck. Pounding a caguama will. Even better, buy yourself some home made tepache from a random dude who comes out of the jungle and also tries to sell you a live iguana for lunch. That works every time.

Bargain hard for the iguana, you know it didn't cost him anything.