Change of pace (fishing for bass) 5/10/2023

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of my friends wanted to go bass fishing, so even though I'm not a bass fisherman, we hiked into a central Washington lake to see what we could find. It was a change of pace from the usual rainbow trout fishing I normally do. I was fly fishing and had a tough time of it, but managed to find one good 19 inch bass that took a rabbit fur leech:

IMGP5885.JPG

I almost landed another smaller bass, around 16 inches, but the others were very small, like 9 inchers. I also caught a couple of yellow perch, bluegills and a 13 inch rainbow.

I've always said that a good gear fisherman will outfish a good fly fisherman about 10 to 1. Well, my friend was using spinnerbait and landed 14 bass, 5 of which were big ones in the 4 to 5.5 pound range. It is really amazing how effective that spinnerbait is in capable hands. Here he is with the one he retained (he landed another that was even larger, but released it):

20230510_165146 cropped.jpg

The water temperature was 63 to 66 degrees F, so really good for bass fishing. Surprisingly, we had the lake to ourselves the entire day. The mosquitoes and deerflies are starting to get active, so be prepared.

Rex

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! Now you just have to learn how to put your phone in the bushes so you can get the long arm selfie.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
One of my friends wanted to go bass fishing, so even though I'm not a bass fisherman, we hiked into a central Washington lake to see what we could find. It was a change of pace from the usual rainbow trout fishing I normally do. I was fly fishing and had a tough time of it, but managed to find one good 19 inch bass that took a rabbit fur leech:

View attachment 64995

I almost landed another smaller bass, around 16 inches, but the others were very small, like 9 inchers. I also caught a couple of yellow perch, bluegills and a 13 inch rainbow.

I've always said that a good gear fisherman will outfish a good fly fisherman about 10 to 1. Well, my friend was using spinnerbait and landed 14 bass, 5 of which were big ones in the 4 to 5.5 pound range. It is really amazing how effective that spinnerbait is in capable hands. Here he is with the one he retained (he landed another that was even larger, but released it):

View attachment 64996

The water temperature was 63 to 66 degrees F, so really good for bass fishing. Surprisingly, we had the lake to ourselves the entire day. The mosquitoes and deerflies are starting to get active, so be prepared.

Rex
I think the "capable hands" part is the key. I think a spinnerbait is the lure I've thrown the most that I'm still blanked on.

Gear guys get the benefit of covering more water faster, which equates to more opportunity. But I am convinced that bass spend more time eating things best replicated by the fly than they do eating things that are best done with gear. Stick with it and you'll have days where your bag is bigger than his.

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! Now you just have to learn how to put your phone in the bushes so you can get the long arm selfie.
Here's a photo my friend took by himself of one of his bass. I worry when he does this as it looks like he could easily tip over and flip his float tube forward (note how the front tips of the float tube are under the water surface). If it was me, I'd also lose my grip on my phone and it would end up in the drink. But I do admit it makes for a great photo...

20230510_123633.jpg

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I fished a few bass tournaments with gear and I did alright, but I gave them up because I couldn’t fly fish in them. There are now a few guys who win tournaments with the fly rod and their approach has in some ways changes the way that gear guys approach the fisheries.

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I fished a few bass tournaments with gear and I did alright, but I gave them up because I couldn’t fly fish in them. There are now a few guys who win tournaments with the fly rod and their approach has in some ways changes the way that gear guys approach the fisheries.
I know that Billy MacDonald does well using the fly rod to fish for bass. I think he uses a 10 wt rod paired with specific lines designed to cast big popper flies for bass. But I only go fly fishing for bass once or twice a year, so I don't know if it is worthwhile for me to invest in that equipment.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think the "capable hands" part is the key. I think a spinnerbait is the lure I've thrown the most that I'm still blanked on.

Gear guys get the benefit of covering more water faster, which equates to more opportunity. But I am convinced that bass spend more time eating things best replicated by the fly than they do eating things that are best done with gear. Stick with it and you'll have days where your bag is bigger than his.
A few years ago nobody would've believed that fly rods can catch tuna on par, or even outfish gear. Mostly for that very reason.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
An unweighted "Senko" specifically in the "green pumpkin seed" color is possibly the most effective lure to use for Bass in western Wa. I like to "drop shot" small plastic worms (green) but the Senko always seems to catch more and bigger fish. Of course things like weedless floating frogs can be very fun when they produce.

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
An unweighted "Senko" specifically in the "green pumpkin seed" color is possibly the most effective lure to use for Bass in western Wa. I like to "drop shot" small plastic worms (green) but the Senko always seems to catch more and bigger fish. Of course things like weedless floating frogs can be very fun when they produce.
ditto on the Senko worms, and not the small ones!
Jay
I guess this is in the wrong forum now.

Shad

Life of the Party
I know that Billy MacDonald does well using the fly rod to fish for bass. I think he uses a 10 wt rod paired with specific lines designed to cast big popper flies for bass. But I only go fly fishing for bass once or twice a year, so I don't know if it is worthwhile for me to invest in that equipment.
A 6-wt. works great for most of what I do (Clousers, buggers, gurglers, etc.), but if you want to cast big poppers and the like, you'll want a heavier line.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Just curious, are you guys casting these Senko worms on a fly rod?
I have chucked senkos on a fly rod. Strip it out and launch like a spinning rod. The casting sucks but the fishing is better. The key to senko fishing is line watching and its easier to see the fly line twitch

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I have chucked senkos on a fly rod. Strip it out and launch like a spinning rod. The casting sucks but the fishing is better. The key to senko fishing is line watching and its easier to see the fly line twitch
Meant to add, the best smallmouth fishing I've ever had was on the runoff ponds along the snake upstream of lower granite dam. Stand high on the rip rap with a senko on a 9' 5wt from walmart, launch and watch. As many 16" red eyes as you want.

Do look out for rattlesnakes sharing riprap looking for the last bit of heat and sun of the day.

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
Casting a Senko with a fly rod could be done but why? A Senko should be rigged so that it is totally weedless. That makes it ideal to throw into the thickest "salad" or structure you can find. With a good reel you can "skip" a Senko across the surface, much like "skipping"a flat stone. This takes practice, but it can be extremely advantageous. You can present the lure in places like underneath docks or underneath overhanging trees. These are the places where big bass feel safe and are often just a few inches beyond where other people can cast. Once you get the hang of it, it makes bass fishing even more fun.