Catchercraft Freestone questions

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The Catchercraft Freestone has really caught my eye. I like the idea of being able to pack it in the back of my short bed Tacoma that has a canopy. I've recently added a River Quiver to the roof and may add other gear up there so travelling across multi states with my pontoon isn't going to work so well up on top anymore. For those that have experience with the Freestone and the different frame options, I have a couple questions. Looking at the Facebook page, there is a series of photos showing all three frame variations for the Freestone. Clearly the breakdown version would easily fit into my Tacoma. Any idea the dimensions on the deluxe and standard options? Additionally, what is the downside of the breakdown version compared to the deluxe or standard options? Does the breakdown frame flex additionally due to the connection points? I would assume the deluxe or standard options would for lack of a better term provide more efficient rowing? Thanks in advance.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
The Catchercraft Freestone has really caught my eye. I like the idea of being able to pack it in the back of my short bed Tacoma that has a canopy. I've recently added a River Quiver to the roof and may add other gear up there so travelling across multi states with my pontoon isn't going to work so well up on top anymore. For those that have experience with the Freestone and the different frame options, I have a couple questions. Looking at the Facebook page, there is a series of photos showing all three frame variations for the Freestone. Clearly the breakdown version would easily fit into my Tacoma. Any idea the dimensions on the deluxe and standard options? Additionally, what is the downside of the breakdown version compared to the deluxe or standard options? Does the breakdown frame flex additionally due to the connection points? I would assume the deluxe or standard options would for lack of a better term provide more efficient rowing? Thanks in advance.
The owner of the company, @BDD , is on here so he’d be the best one to answer your questions.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well while I've got your attention and waiting for @BDD to chime in here, you guys seem familiar with the Freestone raft? What are your thoughts in general? One of the benefits I see right off the bat compared to other companies is the frame for the oars vs an oar point welded to the raft. However, I have not seen a Freestone in person.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Get a Freestone! If you never see yourself needing a breakdown frame, go with one of the other ones. Me, I will get the breakdown frame as I see lots of trips where it will come in handy. I have several frameless boats with the glued on oar patches and they are no match for a framed boat. Sure, they are slightly faster to set up and take down but you sacrifice performance. Had the Freestone been on the market when I got my WaterMaster. I would have gotten one - and will someday!

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Freestone, I trust your judgement as I have read many of your other posts on here or the other forum. I need to call the company and see if I can stop by their North Bend facility or have to make a trip to Ellensburg to see the frame in person before I make my choice. My gut tells me I won't regret getting the takedown frame but just want to be sure. I need to work some more overtime.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I have the Freestone (actually have 2) with the deluxe frame. Also have an Outcast Commander that has pinned oars similar to Watermaster, etc.

The Commander is a little more portable as the deluxe frame on the Freestone is reasonably beefy. The Freestone raft itself is crazy light.

The Freestone has a much broader range of use. I rowed mine on my homewater on the Sol Duc all winter in places that I'm not comfortable rowing the Commander. You're sitting up a little higher which helps too. It's my secret weapon with the no fishing from boats rules. I wade down the river inside the boat. If I slip, it's very easy to grab the sturdy frame. I can also pull over anywhere and drag it up on the bank and fish spots where boat anglers can't anchor and get out to fish.

The only downside for me with the Freestone is that it's a single chamber. So a big puncture might be tough to fix even with the kit provided. That is offset with the durability of Jack's Plastics rafts material and I'm comfortable with the trade off. The inner bladder on the Outcast style boats would be easier to handle emergency repairs with Tear-aid on the inside and a chunk of Gorilla tape over the cover (been rowing mine like that for a year...).

BDD and his frame builder partner are great people to work with.

01.16.22.01.jpg

Last edited:

BDD

Steelhead
We will be building five Freestone frames during the third week of April. Of course only four are on order. I'm sneaking one in on the build list so I can take it to AK next month. We will be making versions of each; that would be a good time to stop in and see them.

The standard and breakdown are pretty much the same except one breaks down so as to be more compact. No you don't really lose any strength in getting a breakdown frame; just costs more because of extra time and materials. As explained on the FB page and numerous times here, on WFF, and the website, the deluxe frame has the heel bar built into the rowing frame making it more rigid and the oar tower is attached in two places. Both the standard and breakdown frame have separate heel bars from the rowing frame and there is only one attachment point with the oar tower to the rowing frame.

As far as which is better, it depends on what you are using it for. If you need it as compact as possible for shipping, flying, or storage then the breakdown frame is best. If you never plan on needing it other than carrying it in the back of your truck, then the deluxe is better in my opinion. I have the deluxe for general use locally but for AK I plan on shipping up the breakdown version to the lodge in advance.

But that said, the Freestone sucks...get a WM. There is a great deal on one on Spey Pages right now.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for replying BDD. I'm local so I will contact you offline and take up your offer to come see them the third week of April. With all that said your last sentence confuses me, I'm assuming you're joking since you'd rather be in Alaska fishing than building boats.

Thomas Mitchell thanks for the info.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thomas Mitchell thanks for the info.
Happy to help. Can't go wrong with a Freestone. For short drives you won't need to roll it. Just throw it in the back with the gate down, strap it in and go. I have a Ram 1500 with the short bed so the bed is a little bit wider than your rig but probably not much longer and it works great.

In retrospect, I wish I just bought both frames for mine or one deluxe and one breakdown since I have two Freestones - one for me, one for family and guests.

Also - I don't know if it's possible in the breakdown frame but the accessory rod holder that came with my deluxe is super helpful, especially with two handers or centerpin rods. Highly recommend that option.