Cast and blast

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’ve been helping out with predator control the last 2 weeks and was starting to get burnt out. So today I decided to go fishing for the first time this year. It was clear and cold but the fishing was good at the local lake I went to. Caught one of the stocked Donkeys for the smoker😬

Here are some pics
IMG_6794.jpeg
IMG_6800.jpegIMG_6810.jpegIMG_6821.jpegIMG_6826.jpegIMG_6833.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Divad

Whitefish
The last coyote tail looks to be whiter than the others, that would make for some nice saltwater patterns! I received some coyote from a buddy in Montana this year and his was a little too brownish/yellow to imitate baitfish around here. Tons of underfur, but the long strands you do get is a little softer than bucktail and moves nicely.

Nice pics, and nice rifle, dig the camo and can.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Hi Bob. What type of call do you find works best for coyotes?
This time of year I kind of stick to howling and patience. I also use a little squeaker, it sounds like squeezing a rubber ducky😂 but it freakin works! So basically hand calling as of late.

Last edited:

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Back to the grind😬 got a txt last night to find a group that had killed a few calves. The wind was not my friend today, but was able to get one that winded me.
IMG_6836.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Bob,
Nice shooting. Just curious, what do you end up doing with the coyotes you harvest? Are you tanning the skins?
Thanks
SF

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
So Bob, what you’re saying is that you’re a mercenary…😄
Yep… just a gun for hire. I don’t actually get money though, I get lamb chops, corn on the cob, veggies and some amazing homemade apple cider! They take care of me.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Bob,
Nice shooting. Just curious, what do you end up doing with the coyotes you harvest? Are you tanning the skins?
Thanks
SF
I have skinned out a few, but I don’t usually. I have way too many hobbies to start that. Maybe someday. The land owner likes me to drag them out and hang them on the fence. You should see that place…. The fence looks like something out of mid evil times….

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
So Bob, what you’re saying is that you’re a mercenary…😄
Yep… just a gun for hire. I don’t actually get money though, I get lamb chops, corn on the cob, veggies and some amazing homemade apple cider! They take care of me.

I actually like to think oh myself as more of a Beetlejuice, just say my name three times and I appear in the sagebrush near you 😂

tombraider

LG
Forum Supporter
I would like some shooting like that. We do gophers for range cattle farmers in Montana but when covid came the dried up ?. Haven't rebound yet. Long shots are fun.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Question, in all of your time afield have you seen any Jack rabbits? The hills around Yakima were literally swarming with them in the ‘50’s and early 60’s.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Question, in all of your time afield have you seen any Jack rabbits? The hills around Yakima were literally swarming with them in the ‘50’s and early 60’s.
I did about 6 years ago, they were huge! I think fires from the training center wiped them out where I hunt unfortunately.