Carved Slingshot SBS

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Made sling shots and bows out of Vine Maples all the time as a kid! Yeah we did some stupid things every day.

Thats why it was so much fun!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Made sling shots and bows out of Vine Maples all the time as a kid! Yeah we did some stupid things every day.

Thats why it was so much fun!
Vine maple would be a good acquisition. I'll have to grab some next time I'm in the woods looking for the elusive yew.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
This would be considered an assault style slingshot in CA. You would need to carve a serial number in it and register it.
That's funny, there's a thread going on about legality in CA. Slingshots are legal to own. But... they cannot be capable of shooting metalic shot... wrap your head around that one.

"Under the current laws in California, it is legal to own a slingshot as long as certain guidelines are followed. These guidelines include:
  • The slingshot must not be capable of shooting metallic projectiles.
  • The slingshot must not be used to shoot at people, animals, or property.
  • Minors under the age of 18 are prohibited from possessing slingshots unless under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian."

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Nice project, TicTokCroc!
When my brother and I were kids, we lived beside a heavily-forested coastal B.C. ravine. There were a very few vine maples growing on the slopes, and they yielded a few nice slingshot crotches (or "forks"). Those are very rare trees, at least I've very rarely seen any since.
We just cut the three ends to length, cut the bark off, then cut a groove around the two ends, around which we attached surgical tubing, using thin twine. And just a leather patch to hold the ammo. Other kids used inner tube rubber, but surgical tubing was way, way more powerful. We mostly used marbles for ammo, and also "steelies" (ball bearings) that we found in the mud at the auto wreckers. Thankfully, we never injured or killed anybody, because we never fired at humans. I'm not sure why not, because we sure did a lot of stupid things back then. (like drop rocks on .38 or .44 rounds that we found down the ravine! Did I say that? Didn't happen!)
Flat bands are the powerhouse these days. Lots of specialized products and tapers. It's almost getting as specialized and complex(or simple) as fly fishing.
20231002_092512.jpg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Growing up in Vietnam we used to make our own sling shots (called Ná) out of tree branch, ganged up rubber bands and piece of inner tube to hold ammo. We shot pebbles at tin cans and such. For the kids in the rural area the birds sometime provided proteins for their families :)

Reactions: Zak

CRO

Steelhead
I dont remember how many homemade sling shots that my grandfather made for me out of vine maple that i broke. I and all the old steelheaders in a plunking shack watched as he shot a merganser at a good 30yds with a head shot with one as it drifted down the river . It just rolled over and never kicked. I didnt see it but did see his worst shots result when he shot bounced a round ball off a cat that was digging up the freshly planted vegetable garden. The round ball bounced off the cat, flew between the pickets on the fence, bounced off the street and hit the neighbors picture window as she sat there sewing. I think he was at least 70 when he broke the window.

Last edited: