Carp - how to…?

Mukman

Life of the Party
We live on a river in central WA. It’s a big river, one of the biggest in the US. We have a dock on the river. When I stand on the end of the dock, I often see a crapload of carp in hover mode (river is pretty slow here) about 10 feet down, maybe a foot off the bottom. If I had a bow and arrow, and was adept with them, I might be able to shoot them. If I had a spear I might be able to spear them. But my preferred weapon is a fly rod

I’ve tried drifting just about everything past them, but no joy. Any guidance from you carpists here?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Suspended carp are just plain difficult to catch. Any backwaters/shallow areas nearby where they may be feeding?

Mukman

Life of the Party
Suspended carp are just plain difficult to catch. Any backwaters/shallow areas nearby where they may be feeding?
Yes, but I haven’t seen them move into those areas. I’ll need to keep a closer eye where they may move. I just see them on the hover.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you tried casting one of these?
1697753644566.png

Setup on a 10-12' leader, cast it out past them, drag it to one side of their face (45 degree angle) and let sink right past them. This is called "drag & drop". Pretty standard carp presentation. They might take it as it's falling. Or take it once it hits the bottom. If the fly goes out of view try and guess where it is. If you see the front of the fish go there and then poke to the side at it or see the tail go up, strike. Little bit of guess work is involved.

If they are just sitting there they are tough. If you see them sort of snooping around they will eat.

Do you have any shoreline reeds or grass that has blue damsel flies sitting on it in May-July? If so, try stripping a standard #10 or #12 damsel nymph at their level. They'll feed on damsel and dragon nymphs.

I'm officially jealous you have carp at the end of your dock. :) Good luck!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
We live on a river in central WA. It’s a big river, one of the biggest in the US. We have a dock on the river. When I stand on the end of the dock, I often see a crapload of carp in hover mode (river is pretty slow here) about 10 feet down, maybe a foot off the bottom. If I had a bow and arrow, and was adept with them, I might be able to shoot them. If I had a spear I might be able to spear them. But my preferred weapon is a fly rod

I’ve tried drifting just about everything past them, but no joy. Any guidance from you carpists here?
I live by that river too. I can come show you 😂

Edit: I see now central WA. That's a few hours away.

Mukman

Life of the Party
Have you tried casting one of these?
View attachment 86796

Setup on a 10-12' leader, cast it out past them, drag it to one side of their face (45 degree angle) and let sink right past them. This is called "drag & drop". Pretty standard carp presentation. They might take it as it's falling. Or take it once it hits the bottom. If the fly goes out of view try and guess where it is. If you see the front of the fish go there and then poke to the side at it or see the tail go up, strike. Little bit of guess work is involved.

If they are just sitting there they are tough. If you see them sort of snooping around they will eat.

Do you have any shoreline reeds or grass that has blue damsel flies sitting on it in May-July? If so, try stripping a standard #10 or #12 damsel nymph at their level. They'll feed on damsel and dragon nymphs.

I'm officially jealous you have carp at the end of your dock. :) Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! And you might not be jealous of my carp, because they are definitely disinterested so far. Interesting about the damsels - I would never have thought they’d be interested. I do have shoreline reeds (or did in the summer) but haven’t noticed any damsels. Do you think a San Juan worm would be a suitable substitute for that hybrid?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the tips! And you might not be jealous of my carp, because they are definitely disinterested so far. Interesting about the damsels - I would never have thought they’d be interested. I do have shoreline reeds (or did in the summer) but haven’t noticed any damsels. Do you think a San Juan worm would be a suitable substitute for that hybrid?
A San Juan worm is always worth a shot. It's not really a substitute for the Hybrid though. The Hybrid represents freshwater clams. Your river probably has a bunch of those. Just a note here- Unfortunately, most are probably invasive Asian clams. The good news is carp love them.
The Hybrid looks like a baby clam sitting on the bottom with his siphon sticking out. And many opportunistic carp on your river will take it when it falls by them within easy reach or forage for it off the bottom.

So really long leader, get it in their sight and watch for them to pick it off. And then hang on! :)

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've had days looking for carp but not many (edit: and these weren't carp). We set out to find some chinook or steelhead on a really big river, but they were not playing. Put this purple marabou thing I tied on the streamer max line, and wow. Every 2 or 3 casts. somewhere between 2 and 3 dozen I had to stop, my arm hurt. Is it common to be able to hunt them up just stripping leeches?
20231022_fly.jpg
Lord they are gross
20231022_sogross.jpg
A couple dozen of these was about all I could take.
20231022_yuck.jpg

Attachments

• 20231022_8wt8.jpg
    20231022_8wt8.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've had days looking for carp but not many. Today was my best day ever. We set out to find some chinook or steelhead but they were not playing. Put this purple marabou thing I tied on the streamer max line, and wow. Every 2 or 3 casts. somewhere between 2 and 3 dozen I had to stop, my arm hurt. Is it common to be able to hunt them up just stripping leeches?
View attachment 87238
Lord they are gross
View attachment 87239
A couple dozen of these was about all I could take.
View attachment 87240
Love this 8wt, so easy to cast most of a line, whether the bank shot floater, sink tip or the streamer max. Some of them really tested it.
View attachment 87241
Um, you've photographed a sucker, not a carp.

While I'm sure carp do slurp in "leech" patterns from time to time, what you describe would be something I haven't experienced when fishing for carp - ever.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Um, you've photographed a sucker, not a carp.

While I'm sure carp do slurp in "leech" patterns from time to time, what you describe would be something I haven't experienced when fishing for carp - ever.
OK, that's what my son said. I wasn't sure, just not much experience in this realm. They ate freely and fought hard enough, better than being skunked. :)

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter