Car guys and gals??

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’m finally getting my retirement project going…..my grandfather bought this truck in 1951 for his furniture store in Seattle. Then my dad got it in 65 and I bought it from him in 73 as a junior in high school. I bought a totaled 56 Chev and took the V8, transmission, rear end and 12 volt system and stuffed it into my truck. The last time I drove it I was 21…..it’s always been in a garage….43 years in this house now. To make a loooong story short, last April I bought an ex drag race S10 without motor or trans just for the frame. They make a kit to put my 51 body on it. Then a couple of weeks ago I bought a totaled 2010 Camaro with 30,000 miles, 430hp LS 3, six speed and all the electrical stuff I need! I’ve been hounding my good friend who owns his Hotrod shop for 20+ years to get my truck back on the road……as of last week and only 14 hours here’s what it looks like now! Gonna be BAD ASS!!!
IMG_3451.jpegIMG_3449.jpegIMG_3450.jpeg

Last edited:

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good luck! This was my high school project 20 years ago. Grandpa bought it in '72 and before I got it was hauling steelhead with it. Straight 6 & automatic so nothing super valuable or fast but fun to drive. That big of a project will definitely eat into fishing time.... Be sure to update with finished picks!
20220713_193129.jpg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
SK, side question, did you ride a Husky back in the day?
Tim, I started way back with a 125 Yamaha MX, then bought a brand new 75 Husquavarna 125 and bumped it up to a 175 but it was still too light for the coal hill steep climbs so I bought a Husky 390 CR and flew up and over many nasty hills! I got scars to prove it! I rode dirt bikes for 33 years…..and the other sticker on the driver’s side corner window is a vintage K2 snow ski sticker! 35 years beating my ass in the moguls…..all I can do nowadays is fly fish….oh well. Thank god for Crown Royal! I still have all three…but when I got my back fused, my doctor said sell them! I said I can ride slower….not!

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I think it is going to be awesome! I think an all wood flatbed and 3" chop would be awesome. Keep posting!

I race cars out of SoCal and fabricate my racecars from streetcars doing all my own track support, maintenance, and engine building. I'm back racing a C5Z06 in SCCA. The LS3 is great. They do make a gm LS3 "E rod" wiring harness that might be better than the camaro harness because it is hard to get rid of stuff because of incestuous electronics like the BCM (body control module) and security VATS and other stuff on the CAN line that the ECU will look for like camaro HVAC, steering angle sensors etc. The E rod harness is for exactly what you are doing.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You’re going to get a few speeding tickets driving that to your fishing spot. Just saying…. Not a car guy but will seeing the final product will be fun.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Give me some feedback folks! I showed you mine….let’s see yours! Post that Mustang Brian……
Well, since you put me on the spot:

1699769418013.png

As you can see it's just a shell on a rolling cart. It's solid and rust-free. It's also been like this for over 30 years. I've been detailing various parts, but have been stuck on getting the body blasted, primed and sealed. Once I get off my glutes and get that done, I'll have turned the corner into putting things back together. Progress should pick up dramatically after I retire in a year or so.

It's a base V8 1967 Mustang (289, 2 bbl.) coupe. They made a million of them, so it won't be stock, but fairly close to it. I'll warm up the engine a bit, but with the tall gears it won't win many drag races. However, it should be a great cruiser and should be awesome on the open road. When I last drove it, it had bald bias ply tires and manual drum brakes all around. I'll upgrade to disk brakes and modern rubber because I don't want to die in it.

Yes, a modern sedan or SUV will do just about everything better than a 55-year-old Mustang -- except make your Willy tingle...

Attachments

• 1699769964849.png
    1699769964849.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Well, since you put me on the spot:

View attachment 90160

As you can see it's just a shell on a rolling cart. It's solid and rust-free. It's also been like this for over 30 years. I've been detailing various parts, but have been stuck on getting the body blasted, primed and sealed. Once I get off my glutes and get that done, I'll have turned the corner into putting things back together. Progress should pick up dramatically after I retire in a year or so.

It's a base V8 1967 Mustang (289, 2 bbl.) coupe. They made a million of them, so it won't be stock, but fairly close to it. I'll warm up the engine a bit, but with the tall gears it won't win many drag races. However, it should be a great cruiser and should be awesome on the open road. When I last drove it, it had bald bias ply tires and manual drum brakes all around. I'll upgrade to disk brakes and modern rubber because I don't want to die in it.

Yes, a modern sedan or SUV will do just about everything better than a 55-year-old Mustang -- except make your Willy tingle...

Nice!
My folks neighbors bought a white 289 Mustang new in 1965. I spent a lot of time in their rig as a kid. They are well into their 80’s and still own and drive it.
SF

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
IMG_2499.jpeg
This started out as a four door 2016 Wrangler…shortened the wheelbase to 110”. 6.2 supercharged Hellcat, Dynatrac Prorock 80 rear, XD60 front with ARB air lockers, 1410 drivelines. King 2.5” coil overs & 3” bypass shocks, air bumps at the corners. Rear mounted oil & trans coolers, Atlas 4.3 two speed t-case…585 hp & 525 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, about 740 hp at the crank…

fatbillybob

Steelhead
View attachment 90174
This started out as a four door 2016 Wrangler…shortened the wheelbase to 110”. 6.2 supercharged Hellcat, Dynatrac Prorock 80 rear, XD60 front with ARB air lockers, 1410 drivelines. King 2.5” coil overs & 3” bypass shocks, air bumps at the corners. Rear mounted oil & trans coolers, Atlas 4.3 two speed t-case…585 hp & 525 ft/lbs torque at the wheels, about 740 hp at the crank…

That will get you to the secret fishing spots!