NFR Car GAP insurance question/PSA

Non-fishing related

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The short story is if you have GAP insurance, you need to report an accident to your primary insurance within 5 days. If not, you could have your GAP claim denied, even though your primary insurance still covers the claim:

Hello,

I have reviewed your claim decision and we have determined that this does not qualify for a GAP claim. You are required to notify your insurance company within 5 days of the loss (accident). The insurance company would then make the decision to either total the vehicle or proceed with repairs.

Notifying insurance 2 months after the loss still does not qualify for a GAP claim. The dealership will process your refund and send it to your lender. Please plan with your lender to repay the remaining balance.

Thanks,

Looking for advice, insights, and if nothing else, posting as a PSA.

The long story is our 21yo daughter (a.k.a. "Crash Bandicoot") rear-ended a jeep last May. The jeep was essentially untouched and the other driver was fine with not reporting. Unfortunately it munched the front of her Fusion pretty good, but the car was still drivable and had no handling or mechanical problems. I've done some auto body work in the past and had zero reason to think the car would be totaled. So, checking our GAP policy was not a consideration. We also were hesitant to report immediately since she totaled her Sentra the year before, and was afraid she would be dropped. Two months later she was dropped by USAA anyway so at that time we did report. The damage was still covered, but she needed to save up $1000 to pay the deductible so that added more delay time before we could schedule time in a shop. She found alternate coverage in the mean time and we finally got the car into the shop 2 weeks ago, fully expecting it to be fixed. Instead USAA deemed the car a total loss paying a fair value for the car, but that still leaves $7k in loan balance. "No problem" we thought having GAP insurance...... WRONG!

While I have no problem with her taking on some negative equity to replace the Fusion with something cheaper, I'm afraid $7k negative equity will be too much for her to qualify for a loan in her name only. Other than her questionable driving skills, she is a responsible young lady and is developing a successfully cleaning business (which she needs a car for).

Here's what I replied to the GAP insurance sphincter this morning:

Good Morning J***,

My apologies for the delay in responding.

You may be correct in your determination, but I have reasons to believe we have grounds to challenge this in court. It has been a long time since I took business law, but from strict business ethics standpoint, is it clear that disqualifying our coverage based on a technicality the consumer would not reasonably know, is misleading at the minimum.

From a business standpoint, I am failing to see how ******stone has been "damaged" by our failure to report the accident to USAA. Here the reasoning that I will be sharing with legal counsel:

#1: GAP insurance at the time of the accident was never a consideration since the damage was mostly cosmetic, and the car was drivable. We had NO REASON to believe the car would be declared a total loss, so we had NO REASON to check our GAP policy at the time.

#2: Based on reason #1, the true "time of loss" from a GAP perspective was when USAA declared the car a total loss.

#3: Our primary insurance honored the claim, without complaint, in spite of the delay in reporting.

1707329569575.png

#4: ******stone suffered NO DAMAGE due to said delay between accident and the car being totaled. If anything, delay would be to ******stone's advantage due to pro-rating normal time/mileage depreciation.

Whether using this "failure to report" tactic is ethical, or legal, will be a question for our lawyer. Of course, we may not have to meet either of those criteria. If he feels we have cause to sue, I can assure we will. Should it come to that we will be seeking compensation for legal fees, and rental car coverage at the minimum.

Thank you,

Still waiting on a reply but any advice, insights would be appreciated. Even if just telling us we're screwed.

Thanks,

JudyM

Steelhead
From what I understand about GAP insurance is if the car has been financed, and is totaled, the insurance company will not pay off the loan totally.
GAP is to cover what the insurance will pay the loan company and the difference of what is owed over the loss. Good for you on sending the letter! BTW, I am now driving a Ford Fusion Flex fuel as a rental car while my Explorer is in the shop with a claim against Jake's State Farm. The back bumper was replaced, but the sensors that talk to the side mirrors for blind spot is a dealer thing that needs to be programmed.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Update in case anyone is interested.

Thursday afternoon I received a reply from GAP to the email posted above. I had just spoken with our attorney that morning, so I assumed he had contacted them. Turns out he hadn't, and that timing was coincidental.

While I was incorrect in my email to GAP that additional depreciation due to the "delay", should be in their favor - I neglected to point out the loan principle had been reduced by 8 monthly payments in that same period. Our attorney also confirmed, or at least supports, my contention that the "time of loss" for GAP purposes, occurred when our primary insurance deemed the car totaled.

The upside of this is that GAP us now saying they are willing to help us, albeit "outside their normal contract terms". Basically posturing that they doing this out of kindness, so we should be grateful for anything we get... it's possible, right? (and monkeys might fly out of my butt too!)

Based on our attorneys input, it seems far more likely they are negotiating, knowing that we have grounds to sue. As opposed to simply to avoid litigating a frivolous suit.

At this point anything helps, but eating $8500 in unpaid loan balance is a tough pill I refuse to swallow. Or burden our daughter with. She needs to learn some lessons for sure, but paying thousands because of a fine print technicality, is not a constructive life lesson for an otherwise responsible, hard-working young person. Fortunately, it's now a matter of how much they will cover before I sign any agreement.

Regarding that, GAP is OK with using the date of accident as the claim date, and so are we. What they are quibbling about is that our primary insurance "undervalued" the car in the total loss determination. The KBB report I did actually was slightly less that primary insurance. So not sure how GAP expects to save more than a few hundred bucks. This feels far more like a setup to being massively discounted.

Stay tuned...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
but paying thousands because of a fine print technicality, is not a constructive life lesson for an otherwise responsible, hard-working young person.
Not to crap on your larger point (which I agree with), but this whole situation probably IS a very good life lesson for her, sadly. Technicalities are a big deal in legal contracts and will screw you, especially when it comes to big companies and DOUBLE especially when it comes to insurance companies. There's a reason the fine print is written so "fine". Despite all the "we'll be there for you" commercials, big business does not give a single shit about you or me or anyone. As the most wise Wu Tang said, "Cash rules everything around me."

Very glad that things seem to be working out more positively for you and your daughter.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not to crap on your larger point (which I agree with), but this whole situation probably IS a very good life lesson for her, sadly. Technicalities are a big deal in legal contracts and will screw you, especially when it comes to big companies and DOUBLE especially when it comes to insurance companies. There's a reason the fine print is written so "fine". Despite all the "we'll be there for you" commercials, big business does not give a single shit about you or me or anyone. As the most wise Wu Tang said, "Cash rules everything around me."

Very glad that things seem to be working out more positively for you and your daughter.
Well, it turns out to be a lesson as much for me as her. We are all coming out of this wiser. Hoping this might save someone else similar grief.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party

”The devil is in the details” became a saying for a reason.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
An recent insurance story…

In a another thread I had mentioned my cars being keyed. I only reported and claimed one car, a 2008 that has high mileage (263k miles), but has recently had $7500 in engine, suspension , cv axles, tires work done.

The repair estimate on the scratches was a little over $2700.

The insurance company wanted to “total” the car. They gave me a $3000 valuation and the repair was over their 80% value.

I had to argue my case for a week of emails and phones.

I showed Kelly Blue data for similar year cars and mileage….their values were in the $4000 range. In addition to, car offers from car dealerships within and 800 mile range…those ranged from $6000 up.

I also mentioned, that if I purchased one of those listed cars, I would be burdened with a car payment; I addition to, the same $7500 in repairs.

Subaru’s boxer engine is notorious for having head gasket issues and it is no more labor to have the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat work done at the same time. The CV axles, etc are also parts that fail almost to a timeline. I have a 2001 also and had the same work done on it at 157k miles…it now has over 346k and still rolling.

Based on this information, they relented and paid about $50 less than estimate, less another $100 for the deductible.

I’ll be outta pocket $150…I can live with that AND I don’t have to have the stigma and go thru the hassle of registering my car as a “reconstructed car”.

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Update in case anyone is interested.

Thursday afternoon I received a reply from GAP to the email posted above. I had just spoken with our attorney that morning, so I assumed he had contacted them. Turns out he hadn't, and that timing was coincidental.

While I was incorrect in my email to GAP that additional depreciation due to the "delay", should be in their favor - I neglected to point out the loan principle had been reduced by 8 monthly payments in that same period. Our attorney also confirmed, or at least supports, my contention that the "time of loss" for GAP purposes, occurred when our primary insurance deemed the car totaled.

The upside of this is that GAP us now saying they are willing to help us, albeit "outside their normal contract terms". Basically posturing that they doing this out of kindness, so we should be grateful for anything we get... it's possible, right? (and monkeys might fly out of my butt too!)

Based on our attorneys input, it seems far more likely they are negotiating, knowing that we have grounds to sue. As opposed to simply to avoid litigating a frivolous suit.

At this point anything helps, but eating $8500 in unpaid loan balance is a tough pill I refuse to swallow. Or burden our daughter with. She needs to learn some lessons for sure, but paying thousands because of a fine print technicality, is not a constructive life lesson for an otherwise responsible, hard-working young person. Fortunately, it's now a matter of how much they will cover before I sign any agreement.

Regarding that, GAP is OK with using the date of accident as the claim date, and so are we. What they are quibbling about is that our primary insurance "undervalued" the car in the total loss determination. The KBB report I did actually was slightly less that primary insurance. So not sure how GAP expects to save more than a few hundred bucks. This feels far more like a setup to being massively discounted.

Stay tuned...
This happened to one of my coworkers... stay your course with your attorney. Coworker didn't and ended up paying 4 years on a vehicle he no longer had.

When we bought our Energi, F& I advised us to drop GAP when loan equalled resale value. Ended up saving us about 1500 on the loan