Cape Cod

I took a much needed vacation this past week with my girlfriend out to Cape Cod. I’ve never been to that area so it was a brand new experience for me and I was not disappointed. Did a lot mushroom hunting, cheap motel hopping, expensive drinking/eating and a half day of fishing. Mostly mushroom hunting though, which was was focus of the trip. It was super cool to see the diversity and quantity of mushrooms on the east coast and hunt new habitats. Nightly tick checks were mandatory after long days in the woods and we had one exiting night in the hotel bathroom pulling and flushing those little fuckers down the toilet.

I ended up booking with Tony Biski (thank you @VAGABOND for the recommendation). Landed one striper and almost landed an equally sized if not bigger bluefish that came loose at the boat. Lost two others mid fight. Sounded like I just caught the tail end of the season which was abnormally late this year so I’m grateful that I even got a chance at it given the timing. I hope to try again next year with a better timed walk and wade fishing focused trip.

1589B665-8261-431C-A22F-84D66F65ECEE.jpeg
4F65EEAF-2394-4120-BB05-E154D2BAA69C.jpeg
D48A8A08-EB27-482D-9BB1-3B7FF979A90F.jpeg
8E4055FA-E293-4E30-988B-F997AC34D0A0.jpeg
1B0DEDC5-2C16-431A-B4DB-B6078EAE651C.jpeg
B2F6BDA6-3985-4938-8337-A5FAC560C27A.jpeg
059F20B5-3444-496C-86E2-DF1429B65BC2.jpeg
149B701D-1C1C-4D1F-9D59-7B101289FE0C.jpeg

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Excellent!
Glad you had great time. Lots of memories from that area back in the 80s & 90s when you could park at the Weather station on Morris Island or at the lighthouse after October 1. On new moons when the tide was right you could nearly get to Monomoy by wading from South beach. Then the seals showed up.
Then the big guys in gray suits showed up. Would….Not…. Try…. It…. Now!

Jonnytutu

Steelhead
Are there similar mushrooms over there to the west coast? Any Chantrells?
yup, they have king boletes, chanterelles (different type though), birch boletes (like in the photo), and many more. they have more diversity while on the west coast they have higher numbers (pines, chanties, morels, etc).

any king boletes found? I found a bunch in Nova Scotia but never in BC yet. didn't know they had pines out that way. nice looking trip.

fin

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Are there similar mushrooms over there to the west coast? Any Chantrells?
Like @Jonnytutu said they do have some of the same species as the west coast. Cape Cod is primarily various pine and oak forest so they get hardwood lovers that we don’t have over here. Hen of the Woods would be one of the better known oak associating mushrooms found over there. It was too late for chanterelles but I did find some hedgehogs under oak which kind of surprised me. Lots of different corts, leccinum and boletes too.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
by the way. how did those black trumpets taste? I've always wanted to find some.

fin
One of my favorites by far. Lots of umami, with a somewhat soy sauce flavor IMO. If you’ve ever had blue chanterelles they are kind of similar with a more delicate texture. They dry great too and rehydrate into a fresh like state. My only good patch in WA was clear cut a few years ago and they are VERY uncommon this far north otherwise. Southern OR and NorCal pump out good numbers in the late winter though along with hogs and yellow foot but I haven’t committed to that trip in a long time.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Mannnn... if picture #3 is typical of the ticks you dealt with, I definitely am not going back east....🤪😄

Just kidding

Did you keep the bluefish for dinner? theyre great eating

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Mannnn... if picture #3 is typical of the ticks you dealt with, I definitely am not going back east....🤪😄

Just kidding

Did you keep the bluefish for dinner? theyre great
Yeah I’ve heard stories about how bad they are but I generally take other peoples opinions with a grain of salt. I wouldn’t have kept a fish on that trip even if it was quality as I was staying in hotels. I did eat a Caesar salad in Provincetown that supposedly had smoked bluefish in it. Wasn’t too bad, kinda fishy.

Lett

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Very Cool Dave!

I lived in RI for a few years. LOVED fishing for linesiders and blues: Epic tales of trying to cast a 6 inch deceiver off the rocks in an early gale or in the dark of night on an estuary. I will regale you with stories the next time we meet.
Those boletes do indeed look awesome. Great to see you got a chance to get out there!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Very Cool Dave!

I lived in RI for a few years. LOVED fishing for linesiders and blues: Epic tales of trying to cast a 6 inch deceiver off the rocks in an early gale or in the dark of night on an estuary. I will regale you with stories the next time we meet.
Those boletes do indeed look awesome. Great to see you got a chance to get out there!
I look forward to hearing your stories and fishing with you again Arnie!