Canine or feline

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It looks round to me so I'll venture feline. It seems canines are USUALLY longer, and maybe even see the claws? Cool observation shot either way.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Cat.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
looks like a biiiig feline to me.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks canine to me but the lack of a claw print is in general indicative of a cat. I find in general cats leave a very slight print in soft substrate per weight version canines. That looks to be of substantial depth. Yet I'm just guessing as I have no clue what the ground is like.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
These two separate sets of cougar tracks are in snow, so they won’t look quite the same As yours.

But comparing them to the one in your photo I’d say it was a cougar that made the track in your photo.

1643575172857.jpeg

mitten for scale…

1643574809784.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I've never seen anything but deer and one bear when ever I ventured into the woods. Plus I always fished alone. It made it easy as to when I came and when I went home. Saw a lynx one time on the Beckler. And a bear on the Pilchuck Creek. Come to think on it , I have seen many bears, but that's from driving all over the place.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I've never seen anything but deer and one bear when ever I ventured into the woods.
Typically, you don't see cats; Cougars, Lynx & Bobcats DO see you, however . . .

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
My buddy took this on one of our backpacks in the Park last year. Massive.

2DF71F49_BCD0_40ED_BDE1_DBD37E54CFFB.jpeg

Kinigit

Smolt
First one looks like a cat. This last one looks more like a dog since there are claws although its giant (bear?)