Non-Fly Canadian Mooching Reels

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey guys.

Question for you. Is there really any difference between a Canadian Mooching Reels and Fly reels.

I bought a 9 foot rod with a two handed rod grip off the forum here and I've paired it with a tfo mangrove reel. I've that combo for tuna, but I'm not getting out this year.

I've been watching some videos from our northerly neighbors and seen them trolling with the mooching reels and was wondering if I took off the fly line and put some mono on it would the tfo rod work the same as a mooching reel?

I know it's heresey, but it might be a fun way to keep trolling with the kids while I throw a cut plug herring out the back.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I don’t know the answer to your question, but I picked up this Canadian reel with the intent to use it for mooching for Kings and winter Blackmouth. I never got around to it for whatever reason. I bet it would be a hoot though!
The reel was made in 1977 according to the box it came in.

IMG_6159.jpegIMG_6160.jpeg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
If you get them side-by-side, the differences will be pretty apparent. A few things:

A lot of fly reels are built to be light as possible, and as a result, don't have spools that stand up to compression very well. That becomes an issue if you're using mono as it can expand and contract quite a lot if put on there pretty tight. I've seen fly reel spools get totally crushed by mono before.

The other main one is the ability to quickly release the spool to let line out vs having to adjust the drag up and down to do it. They also tend to have a much wider cranking diameter, so it's easier to retrieve a lot of line. Fly reels tend to have a pretty narrow diameter rotation.

Those are just a few of the things. Overall, the mooching reels just feel a lot better, too. They're a reel made to be used as a reel vs as something that's mostly a line holder in most cases.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I used to use them when I fished the puget sound. For how we fish the Columbia and Area 1, I like level winds better.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
The mooching reels typically have a free spool position and also a clicker or 'line alert' that can be engaged/disengaged. Their diameter is quite a bit larger than a fly reel too so you get a more rapid line uptake. Shimano makes a pretty good one that's reasonably priced. Or you can be really cool and use a Hardy Longstone.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I've used them before but prefer a direct drive level wind. The similarity with your fly reel will be the slow retrieve speed. If you want a fly style moocher I think Able made or makes one, islander makes one or hardy rereleased the longstone a decade or more ago. Another not mentioned yet is a daiwa.