Can You Identify This Aquatic Insect

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
PICT0053a.jpg

It was captured last March while biotic sampling of Furneaux Creek in Carrollton TX.

Your challenge (if you choose to accept it) is to identify it to family level,
by its common family name, or by its taxonomic family name, or by both.

Hint: although a mature winged adult, it is only about 2 mm in body length.

PS: extra credit will be given for genus name. ;)

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
Looks like a chalsid wasp, maybe Torymidae?
Hi Zak-

Yes, I too believe it to be a chalsid wasp. Rather than being of family Torymidae, I believe it to be of family Mymaridae (the misnamed Fairy Flies), and genus Polynema, which is listed as having three aquatic species in TX. However, I promised Mark Melton that I wouldn't make a practice of being right, so who knows. :)

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
It's probably a chalcid wasp, but I'd be more inclined to go with Torymidae. The size fits as well as what appears to be a green iridescence on the body. Also, the antennae appear more like Torymidae than Polynema. You're probably right more often than I am, Roger.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Question for you experts: is the distinctive long exerted ovipositor always present, or does the bug "reel it in" when not in use? I don't see the ovipositor in your photo. Or maybe this is a male and lacks an ovipositor?

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
Most likely a male and lacks the ovipositor. That almost got me, too. There are surprisingly few images of what seem to be males.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1977384/bgimage

Reactions: Zak

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
I was reading up on these small wasps lately and there are several genera that will fit, including this one.

Last edited:

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
Hi Mark-3rdImage.jpg

Of the 3 links you provided, in my opinion only the 3rd comes reasonably close to matching my image. However, I believe that its antennae are wrongly shaped. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
Yeah, it's the only picture of a live or recently dead wasp in the series of pictures that shows what it really looks like in life. I wondered about the antennae but in your picture there's not enough detail to be sure. Do you still have the wasp or access to it to double check?

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
Being as there are thousands of species of these small wasps, I don't think there's much chance of getting an ID without an expert. It's been fun trying though. On a side note there are lots of them flying around at a friends place, you can hardly sit down without several landing on you. He has a lot of oaks on the property and I assume there are a lot of gall makers and parasites.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Being as there are thousands of species of these small wasps, I don't think there's much chance of getting an ID without an expert. It's been fun trying though. On a side note there are lots of them flying around at a friends place, you can hardly sit down without several landing on you. He has a lot of oaks on the property and I assume there are a lot of gall makers and parasites.
I’m just glad that, as far as I know anyway, my chances are fairly small of being parasitized by a wasp that will make me dig a hole out of my bedroom, cause me to plug the hole with my head and die, all so the parasite can consume my body and then exit my bedroom once it has fully metamorphosed.
So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
On a lake there were many leetle beetles struggling in the water. A tiny muddler brought a few fish to hand. I'd love to know the name of this bug:
PXL_20220408_000233870.jpg
PXL_20220408_000225950.jpg
PXL_20220407_221203202.jpg
PXL_20220407_221129038.jpg