Can wdfw fly drones?

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have been flying RC planes and enjoying rc cars all my life. The drone thing I have yet to get into. I know how to fly them from my simulator but geesh they are pricey.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Never flown fixed wing RC, but I've flown RC helos, and have a couple cheap drones. Drones are very easy to control (for me the helos were difficult...lots of crashes and damages!). Drone on-board control systems really do most of the flying for you.

I'd buy a bigger drone with more features...but I've not been to figure out a use that I'd really stick with.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
We use them a bit in our precision ag program. Currently we have to call the tower a day ahead, and before with a termination time, and stay below 400' (or is it 250' now I gotta look). The computer class was on a plan to build them, but the FAA pretty much shut us down and squashed the program permit wise because we are in the airport flight zone. Other than that I really don't know squat, just end user of the data.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
I think drones are a good thing when used properly.

For F&W personnel, they should help identify who needs F2F interaction while leaving others alone doing what they enjoy ---> fishing. I would think it would also be safer for them knowing if the fishermen were drunk, carrying, or being obnoxious before a F2F interaction. Also they can document issues digitally. With the number of F&W personnel so limited, drones should help them be more efficient and productive.

For fishermen it can also be a good thing. It should reduce the amount of interactions and time associated with it. Therefore let them keep doing what they love ---> fishing. Before drones - I was fishing a Western MT. stream and F&W officer wanted to check me out. He asked me to hold up my license and he checked it out with spotting scope. Gave me a thumbs up and he went on his way. If I would of needed to have F2F interaction there would of been a lot of time spent, going upstream, wading the stream, and climbing up the bank. Hopefully drones will support the same type of effort as the spotting scope.

I am sure drones are being used for Search and Rescue. Searchers need all the help and support they can obtain.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Index WA will probably be the next Bermuda Triangle. Drones go in but they never come back.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Cities (including Spokane) regularly use drones to inspect river shoreline for illicit industrial discharges and malfunctioning stormwater systems.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been flying RC planes and enjoying rc cars all my life. The drone thing I have yet to get into. I know how to fly them from my simulator but geesh they are pricey.

Phantom 4 for sale. Name your price. Comes with backpack a couple batteries and controller etc.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
A few days ago, while walking our new dog in my neighborhood, there were two largish drones hovering about 30 feet up over a side street. On my way back, a sherrif's car pulled in to a driveway nearby. Then, from a very loud loudspeaker in one of the drones, came a voice from the sky: THIS IS THE SNOHOMISH COUNTY SHERRIF'S DEPARETMENT. COME OUT OF THE VAN, HOLDING NOTHING IN YOUR HANDS.

I skedaddled with my dog.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Ther are areas (FRIA) where you do not need a remote ID for your drone, but in general, there is now some requirements for drone ID, even for hobbyists. Anything weighing over 250g needs a remote ID, hence the recent advent of 249g drones marketed to hobbyists.

From the link:
The FAA’s Remote ID rule requires all UAS weighing over .55 pounds to be able to transmit a remote identification signal. The UAS either has to have a built-in transponder or be retrofitted with attachable transponders. While there are a few exceptions to the rule, such as hobby aircraft flown in specific, FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIA), the rule applies to virtually all UAS.
Very true... I'm not sure what brought this on, some say Amazon, etc. wants it for delivery. but my guess is private drone operators just being obnoxious.
I fly rc airplanes, some with wingspans in excess of 5' and belong to three different FRIA approved clubs and we have to go through alot of training for certification. For example these are the requirements for one club that I belong to.
On the other hand, someone can order a top notch DJI drone and be oblivious to the regs.
All this said, I think it is a great source for WDFW for many applications from studies to enforcement.

I recall maybe 25 years ago encountering a F&W officer on the banks of the Skykomish with binoculars watching fishermen in drift boats. I asked what he was up to and he said he was looking for equipment violations or other infractions, to the extent he could tell with the available technology (i.e., binoculars). Someone else would then pull the boat over to check and write it up, if needed. It saved them a lot of time. I imagine drones can do that even more efficiently. I'm happy to see them used in that way.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If it means better enforcement than what I've seen the last 20 years then I'm all for drones.
It doesn't. It means we have better toys but still don't hold anyone actually accountable for game crime. Attend some court cases and you will see it. "254 clams and changing clothes to avoid detection, how's a hundred dollar fine" is a common thing. You can't ask wardens to bring cases then don't prosecute accordingly.

krusty

Forum Supporter
It doesn't. It means we have better toys but still don't hold anyone actually accountable for game crime. Attend some court cases and you will see it. "254 clams and changing clothes to avoid detection, how's a hundred dollar fine" is a common thing. You can't ask wardens to bring cases then don't prosecute accordingly.
Very true. This is common for all sorts of egregious white collar crime as well.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wait till WDFW gets Rover, then you will have nothing more to worry about.
:)

How have I missed this movie. It's right up my OG Rollerball/Logan's Run world view. What is it and why have I not seen it before? Why has Netflix not recommended me such quality vintage scifi dystopian trash? Very upsetting indeed.

krusty

Forum Supporter
British scifi had to rely solely upon decent acting in the 1960s, while American scifi was generally just Richard Basehart and crew running back and forth on a submarine set to simulate a crash or the same antics in space with Shatner.

Though, to be fair, Shatner did have green women with three breasts.

Last edited: