Camping yakima canyon

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Morning to all. Hope you're fishing, and not in an office dreaming of fishing as I am.

Mid June I'm taking rowing lessons with reds fly shop down the Yakima canyon. Figured I'd camp out the day before and try some wading, or floating, if safe. Then the day after maybe float also. Figured I would pitch a tent and rough it.

Looking at camp grounds online, seeing plenty. But I'm not one to enjoy paying 30-40 bucks a day to pitch a tent on some grass and have neighbors. The concept irks me.

Any decent camping in the Yakima canyon area (I don't mind a little drive, 45 min in either direction of reds is ok) that isn't pay to play and busy? Sorry, don't know the area well, and I'm sure there are of plenty of folks looking for the same thing. I'm not wanting remote, just normal camping.

Not overly worried about rattlers and such, I have gators I've been wanting to try out lol.

Any bright ideas without giving up any hidden sweet spots?

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are BLM campgrounds in the Yakima Canyon: https://www.blm.gov/visit/yakima-river-canyon-campgrounds-umtanum-lmuma-creek-big-pines-roza#:~:text=Within the Yakima River Canyon,water of the Yakima River. They are reservable on recreation.gov: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/250985?tab=campsites. By June, they are booked up every weekend but there are plenty of sites available during the week For $15 per night. From what I have read, the weekends can be noisy with campers running generators and playing music. I don’t think there is any camping allowed most places along the river for “roughing it.” You might be able to camp on the other side of the river if your floating device allows you to carry gear.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are BLM campgrounds in the Yakima Canyon: https://www.blm.gov/visit/yakima-river-canyon-campgrounds-umtanum-lmuma-creek-big-pines-roza#:~:text=Within the Yakima River Canyon,water of the Yakima River. They are reservable on recreation.gov: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/250985?tab=campsites. By June, they are booked up every weekend but there are plenty of sites available during the week For $15 per night. From what I have read, the weekends can be noisy with campers running generators and playing music. I don’t think there is any camping allowed most places along the river for “roughing it.” You might be able to camp on the other side of the river if your floating device allows you to carry gear.

Oh no. All campsites in the area are closed Tuesday and Wednesday that month for annual weed spraying.
Just my luck.

Koa is quickly becoming the option.

Walove

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
You could look for national Forrest land to the north for dispersed camping. Probably 45 minutes to an hour away

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oo, I've passed some areas along the tieton River. Not a terribly long drive. Can wade around there. Hmmm

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Everytime I quickly scan down the list of new posts my mind reads the title of this one as “Jumping Yakima Canyon” and I get a vision of someone setting up for an Evel Knievel type stunt, which makes me chuckle.

Anyway, carry on.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I ended up booking a campsite along the tieton River.
I've driven along side this river once before and done light research on fishing it in the past. Not blue ribbon like yak, but there's fish in her.

The campsites along the yak, umtatum, big pine, all those along the yak are closed the Wednesday I'm there for herbicide spraying. I called the blm and they stated this.

Hopefully a touch less busy where I'll be. Got some trees and more "foresty".
50 minute drive to launch at the yak.
Plan is to Arrive Wednesday mid day, fish the tieton that day from shore. Rowing lessons Thursday, probably fish yak a little afterwards. Evening on the tieton. Friday, float the yak on my maiden voyage, fish when possible to anchor. then head home.

Thanks all for advice and help. Super excited to get this underway. I'll try to post a report.