Callibaetis - deep hooking

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I was fishing a high elevation lake a few days ago and having good success with callibaetis nymphs using a slow hand twist retrieve. Several of the bigger fish swallowed the fly really deep. Is it normal for fish to swallow these? Would a slightly faster strip retrieve help to prevent this? I’m not used to having fish swallow my fly and would prefer to prevent it if possible. Any advice?

Thanks,
Dave

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not sure this is good advice but I would do the following. Rod tip in the water, straight line to the fly, light tension on the line at all times to feel the slightest hit. Then a short snap set with my line hand when a bump is felt.. The set is really short, probably not even 2'', but it is almost instantaneous once the fish is felt. I see guys with their rod tips up in the air and the fly line with a big belly in it down to the water. Fly rods are waterproof, get that tip in the water. Hard to get a hook set with a slack line and plenty of time for the fish to take the fly deep.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Not sure this is good advice but I would do the following. Rod tip in the water, straight line to the fly, light tension on the line at all times to feel the slightest hit. Then a short snap set with my line hand when a bump is felt.. The set is really short, probably not even 2'', but it is almost instantaneous once the fish is felt. I see guys with their rod tips up in the air and the fly line with a big belly in it down to the water. Fly rods are waterproof, get that tip in the water. Hard to get a hook set with a slack line and plenty of time for the fish to take the fly deep.
Thanks Ive, I was fishing with my rod tip touching the water and keeping minimal slack in the line however there was a lot of chop on the water and the wind was swinging my line quite a bit. I’m sure it was harder to detect the strikes because of this. An intermediate line probably would have helped I’m sure vs a floater which was all I had at the time.

Shad

Life of the Party
If the fish are literally swallowing your flies, the rest of us should be asking you for advice LOL!

It happens sometimes (ours is a blood sport), but I agree with you it seems unusual to hook them ALL deep; especially on retrieved nymphs....