Caddis everywhere

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I can't catch any of those quick guys in the air, flitting around and laying eggs. I really can't even tell what color, gray or brownish. However, I did find these easier targets. A darker hairs ear was better than this lighter one.
20230624_octcaddis.jpg
And there were these too
20230624_peaking.jpg
Fished my "dave hughes" brace mostly. It actually worked best with the march brown up top and the partridge and orange in the middle. A partridge and green wasn't very good.
20230624_SHflies.jpg
It's amazing that such a simple little fly
20230624_po.jpg
Can draw the best fish out of each section, like this player who started off my day.
20230624_fish.jpg

Attachments

• 20230623_162701.jpg
    20230623_162701.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 41

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I’ve enjoyed using micro mop material, for caddis, over the last year or so. Have a look below, if you’re interested.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Found another type of caddis on my pant leg, in the section just up from the above section.
20230627_rockworm.jpg
based upon my last visit I fished the new diving caddis, a softhackle hare's ear that was best, and a green caddis thing I had (it could have used a black bead I bet).
20230627_flies.jpg
The diving caddis worked right away, but I'm gonna make some up with an orange tail.
20230627_first.jpg
I'm thinking I need a stream and air bug collection set, but currently I try to go with what I see. Yippie, here comes another new one as well, and it's not a caddis, but I know the fish like it!
20230627_stoneshuck.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff! I was a small stream guy myself when I was in Colorado, 1wt and 3wt work, miss it sometimes but salmon/steelhead/SRC have bent my ear now that I'm on the Oregon coast

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Found another type of caddis on my pant leg, in the section just up from the above section.
View attachment 70339
based upon my last visit I fished the new diving caddis, a softhackle hare's ear that was best, and a green caddis thing I had (it could have used a black bead I bet).
View attachment 70340
The diving caddis worked right away, but I'm gonna make some up with an orange tail.
View attachment 70341
I'm thinking I need a stream and air bug collection set, but currently I try to go with what I see. Yippie, here comes another new one as well, and it's not a caddis, but I know the fish like it!
View attachment 70343
I really like your posts, Tom. They remind me that I need to go trout fishing more often.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I really like your posts, Tom. They remind me that I need to go trout fishing more often.
Thank you. I love trout fishing, it's an ever changing game, and around here it's convenient.
I like the bass posts, but I hate the stinking mud! Took me two days to get the smell out of my boots after fishing the lower river. Plus I scared myself getting stuck in that sucking mud. I guess I just prefer cobbles and bubbling water with trout. If I liked bass a bit more that 8'6" 6/7 Steffen would have sold right away.