Cabelas Prestige Plus Intermediate?

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter

Divad

Whitefish
Had the clear version. Cast well, but a little bit given to coiling in cold weather...easily remedied with a good stretch. Very durable.
Good to know thank you! The other intermediate line I had acted in this same way and was $85. I’ll try it out, measure the head length for anybody else interested and report back.

Divad

Whitefish
I think it’s a case of “stripping the marketing team, graphics and sales gurus while buying in massive quantities” kind of thing.

EB590

Steelhead
I *THINK* rio makes cabellas branded line. It's not necessarily renamed, but probably a specific taper for cabelas with the same features of a low end rio line.

I haven't used the line but I wouldn't be scared to try one for 20 bucks.

Divad

Whitefish
I *THINK* rio makes cabellas branded line. It's not necessarily renamed, but probably a specific taper for cabelas with the same features of a low end rio line.

I haven't used the line but I wouldn't be scared to try one for 20 bucks.
That’s where I’m at. Most of the reviews say they use a very compact head in the other lines which I’m guessing is for ease of loading for beginners. That will work well for my beach casting needs.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
At one point, SA made some of Cabela's brand lines, I know Cortland made some for them in the past, and as mentioned, Rio has as well. Which one has made this current version I have no idea, but for $20, you may as well give it a shot if that's the type of line you're after.

why would ease of loading be just for beginners? I know lots of people who are quite competent casters who like heavier than normal lines based on where they're fishing (and a few who don't).

krusty

Forum Supporter
My wife aggressively works at buying stuff 'Made in the USA'.

She'd have absolutely no problem with me paying $2K for a truly domestically produced flyrod.

The problem is that she's buying products touted as 'Made in the USA' and finding out they were 'incorrectly labeled' as such (apparently lots of loopholes!).

At this point I could care less...my last 'Made in the USA' flyrod (a brand new Sage X) had the reel seat butt section fall off into the lake shortly after purchase.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
At one point, SA made some of Cabela's brand lines, I know Cortland made some for them in the past, and as mentioned, Rio has as well. Which one has made this current version I have no idea, but for $20, you may as well give it a shot if that's the type of line you're after.

why would ease of loading be just for beginners? I know lots of people who are quite competent casters who like heavier than normal lines based on where they're fishing (and a few who don't).

Likely made by SA or Cortland then considering @krusty mentioned the line being very durable. 😉😂
SF

krusty

Forum Supporter
Likely made by SA or Cortland then considering @krusty mentioned the line being very durable. 😉😂
SF
I only switched to the Cortland competition sinking lines after seeing how well they performed in cold weather. 😅

Divad

Whitefish
Hey hey now I didn’t say “just for”, it would benefit a wide range of folk as you mentioned. From a cabelas perspective I’d venture they’re targeting to make a line that’s easy for beginners to load which also could be good for others too (like myself 🙂).

Divad

Whitefish
Got out to test it and here’s my notes:

Pros:
- Price at 19.99
- Color, a nice stealthy clear line with a green core
- Supple line that doesn’t kink
- Okay for 60ft casts and under (on a 4wt, see cons)
- True to sink rate at 1.25-1.5 IPS

Cons:
- It is not a 6wt line, the weight is more akin to a 5 or even a 4wt. It cast well on my fast 4wt rod, maybe a tad too heavy. You’d want to buy a 7 or 8wt for a 6wt rod.
- The head is labeled as compact, it is more of a mid length. Box states 38ft but in reality it’s closer to 40-41ft. Taper is evenly distributed and won’t like throwing big stuff.
- Its supple aspect also tends to be a little sticky, not so noticeable at 25-35 degrees, I’d say wouldn’t be fun in the summer.

Overall I don’t think this line is worth it. It casts decent but its weak points are too noticeable. I would never even consider this at the non sale price of $44, when a SA Frequency can be bought for $5 more. I’ll end up using it as a running line in the future for a diy line.

I ended up buying an SA Frequency Intermediate in 7wt and a SA Sonar Titan Int 6wt for my intermediate 6wt needs. Will be testing those out next week.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have/do use prestige plus lines they work well for the stillwater fishing I do. The intermediate does have a coil memory but I just pull out what I am going to use last it in the water white I am getting a drink/ taking a pee/ eating a cookie. Then stretch it between hands at arms length apart and it is good to go.