Bug question

EBT

Smolt
I don't know whether to post this in general forum or in the flytying/bug forum, but I'll start here first looking for the bigger audience. Let me focus on two lakes I fish before I get to the question. I fished this lake often last year and was stunned by the consistency and size of the callibaetis hatch from early April until early June. I did not fish this lake (until October) after the hellacious hot spell on June 10-12. Fishing it this year, the hatch has been much later (naturally), but not all as consistent and not nearly the size of last year's hatch. Example - last year, I'd be ready at 10 AM for the hatch, this year 2 PM is more like it, and it's sparse and lasts only for 90 minutes or so. A friend fishes another lake that had a really strong midge hatch last year, and is experiencing the same sparse hatch at his lake.

Question: Could the hot spell that killed many trout last year and certainly warmed the waters of their respective lakes enough to making fishing for them unwise, have killed some of the bugs we all count on to get the trout in a feeding mode?

I'd appreciate any insight on this from all who are much wiser than I.

FlyGuy

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Just thinking about your question...The first thing that comes to my mind is that water temperature this year at this time (end of May) are likely much cooler than they were last year? That would definitely affect any hatch and the timing may be later this year than what you experienced last year? Just a thought...

EBT

Smolt
agreed, but we took that into account in our thought process. I've been expecting the hatch to really kick off since late April, and if anything, it's winding down. Went to the callibaetis lake the other day, and caught a few fish looking up, but the hatch lasted about 10 minutes. And it was a cloudy, mild day that should have been producing a ton of bugs. Water temp varied from 58-60.