Bug Collection

Wiznet

Steelhead
Hello!

I've been interested in collecting/preserving bug samples from my local rivers. I've found a few guides online suggesting which medium to preserve them in and which bottles. But, I'm curious if anyone here has gone down this path. I'm also curious if it works on fully emerged bugs or if it only nymphs/the aquatic phase preserve well.

Thanks so much!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Great question, I'm curious as well. I made a window screen kick net to go with my dollar store net. So far I'm just taking pictures. Got to start taking underside images to.

Attachments

• 20230719_164054.jpg
    20230719_164054.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 7

Wiznet

Steelhead
Great question, I'm curious as well. I made a window screen kick net to go with my dollar store net. So far I'm just taking pictures. Got to start taking underside images to.
Nice! I bought paint bucket seines and they work wonderful and I can pack them into my waders. Check them out!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Nice! I bought paint bucket seines and they work wonderful and I can pack them into my waders. Check them out!
That's a good idea. Mine are not so packable so I've just walked down and sampled before setting up latley, or at a bridge crossing.

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
Hello!

I've been interested in collecting/preserving bug samples from my local rivers. I've found a few guides online suggesting which medium to preserve them in and which bottles. But, I'm curious if anyone here has gone down this path. I'm also curious if it works on fully emerged bugs or if it only nymphs/the aquatic phase preserve well.

Thanks so much!

I use either 1 or 2 dram glass vials with screw top lids for storing specimens. When I'm collecting I use a small glass or plastic jar. I use 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to store them in. If you're not interested in DNA samples this is cheaper. If you're interested in DNA samples grain alcohol is the way to go. And either medium will work well with nymphs and adult insects. You might want to get some paintbrushes (about watercolor size) and pipettes or tweezers to maneuver the bugs from net to alcohol without messing them up. You might want to take some notes on colors too, because some bugs will change color in alcohol almost immediately.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Great thread. Today I used the solo cup I store tester flies in to photograph the bugs and I'll store this in my year/watershed/ date photo diary database. Finally beyond just turning over rocks so I'm noting things people mention. Need to work on my pictures.

Attachments

• 20230720_bugs.jpg
    20230720_bugs.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230720_054131.jpg
    20230720_054131.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 16

Wiznet

Steelhead
Great thread. Today I used the solo cup I store tester flies in to photograph the bugs and I'll store this in my year/watershed/ date photo diary database. Finally beyond just turning over rocks so I'm noting things people mention. Need to work on my pictures.
Love the first picture! Can really see why we use bead heads and barred legs on larger nymph patterns.

Wiznet

Steelhead
I use either 1 or 2 dram glass vials with screw top lids for storing specimens. When I'm collecting I use a small glass or plastic jar. I use 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) to store them in. If you're not interested in DNA samples this is cheaper. If you're interested in DNA samples grain alcohol is the way to go. And either medium will work well with nymphs and adult insects. You might want to get some paintbrushes (about watercolor size) and pipettes or tweezers to maneuver the bugs from net to alcohol without messing them up. You might want to take some notes on colors too, because some bugs will change color in alcohol almost immediately.
Thanks Mark! This is super helpful and I really appreciate the input. Going to order some supplies and return some pictures in the next few weeks.