Bucktail

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I’ve met @clarkman , but it has been a while…that might be him 😳
I'm sorry, that's fucking hilarious. My kid was wondering what the hell I was laughing so hard about....I showed him, now he can't stop laughing....hahahaha!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I dunno, have you seen me with my hair all grown out?

Let’s see Randy. ;)
I did the grow it all out during the first round Covid. Not a great look on me, lol.
SF

Kinigit

Smolt
I just talked to a buddy that hunts so am going to try to locally source some good stuff. How hipster of me. That picture is hilarious!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yeah, I just checked this morning....probably shouldn't have....don't really need any, but I did grab a natural one since I'm a little thin on quality white. Also grabbed some of the flash/slinky material for some experimentation.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
ya'll are definitely hot spotting your tying supplies, i ordered 3 tails.
eh, they sell out pretty quick of certain colors already...besides, may as well help out my PNW brethren...

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Out here?

I do believe we have mostly blacktails/mule, correct? This good bucktail comes from whitetails.

Makes me wonder if there wouldn't be a good use for blacktail tails...fibers wouldn't be as long though.
Technically west of the Pacific Crest Trail is the only area recognized where you will find blacktail deer. East side of Washington and Oregon you will find both muleys and whitetails. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming all have muleys and white tails. I was in a few fly shops this past week and was amazed at how scarce some materials have become. I am glad we are winding down with this zombie apocalypse.

patrick1

Smolt
So I bought some Primo tails, they got delivered on Saturday. I get an email they arrived so I check my doorbell camera for a package. Not there, but there is something in the street. I go downstairs and head outside, the thing in the street was my bucktail. I check the footage from my doorbell camera and the building next to me got a delivery less than a minute after my package was placed on my doorstep (not the street). Dude hustles down neighbors stairs and then right up mine and snags the envelope. Sits in his car for a minute probably wondering what the hell he just tried to steal and then tosses it out the window.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I bought some Primo tails, they got delivered on Saturday. I get an email they arrived so I check my doorbell camera for a package. Not there, but there is something in the street. I go downstairs and head outside, the thing in the street was my bucktail. I check the footage from my doorbell camera and the building next to me got a delivery less than a minute after my package was placed on my doorstep (not the street). Dude hustles down neighbors stairs and then right up mine and snags the envelope. Sits in his car for a minute probably wondering what the hell he just tried to steal and then tosses it out the window.
I really hate thieves.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The guy who delivered to your neighbor is the same one that stole your package?

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Most likely the thief figured he'd come across something used for witchcraft so he quickly tossed it.

I don't use all that much bucktail compared to what I once did (synthetics are much easier for me to use) but I do know a source for bucktail that some may not know. The use of bucktail is popular right now for spin fishing bass jigs. As DIY lure building has become popular in the spin fishing world , there are now a number of outlets for making lures and these outlets sell marabou, synthetic fibers, flash and bucktail.

So, you may want to expand your search to warmwater lure building sites... they may sell damned fine bucktail and no one in the flyfishing world has yet figured it out.

patrick1

Smolt
The guy who delivered to your neighbor is the same one that stole your package?
Yeah, he pulled up behind the UPS truck (one way street) and made some sort of delivery. Either following the truck or just a crime of opportunity. Lots of porches in my college neighborhood have packages sitting on them for days sometimes, so I think this dude yolo'd it and decided he isn't cool enough to for bucktail.