Broken Sage DS

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Sage DS, 2 piece 5 wt, that is broken about a foot from the tip. I haven't used it in years, but loaned it to a friend who was starting to get into fly fishing...

Sage charges $195 to repair (plus shipping). I hate to throw out a rod, but it doesn't seem worth paying that to repair a rod I don't use. What do you all think?

CRequa

Steelhead
When did they start charging? Got my zaxis done last fall abs they shipped it to me free of charge

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When did they start charging? Got my zaxis done last fall abs they shipped it to me free of charge
I'd be sending it in under the repair policy, not the warranty. The rod is 30 years or so old, doesn't seem like it would be a warrantied workmanship defect. The shipping would be to send it to Sage. Sage covers the return shipping.

RCF

Life of the Party
Older rods like your Sage are unequaled compared to modern day rods and well worth saving IMHO. And with constantly increasing prices for these vintage rods it even makes sense from an economical POV. And who knows, when you get it back you might actually remember why you bought it in the first place and enjoy casting it again. Never hurts to have a backup rod too...

Side note: I am a sucker for vintage rods. So take anything I say with a grain of salt...

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
At $195 for repair, I'd replace it with a Redington Classic Trout for $169.
I had the same thought. If you liked it or it had some meaning then yes.
Older rods like your Sage are unequaled compared to modern day rods and well worth saving IMHO. And with constantly increasing prices for these vintage rods it even makes sense from an economical POV. And who knows, when you get it back you might actually remember why you bought it in the first place and enjoy casting it again. Never hurts to have a backup rod too...

Side note: I am a sucker for vintage rods. So take anything I say with a grain of salt...
Good points. Along the lines of Evan's thought.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
There are a lot of rod builders on this site, and a lot of others that folks know.

I’d reach out to them and see what they’d charge. It might not be insurmountable to fix it.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Older rods like your Sage are unequaled compared to modern day rods and well worth saving IMHO.
Changed my mind. You should fix it. Had my old Sage I got in '80 out today, just a sweet rod, my favorite for several reasons. Broke above the joint in '91, and fixed by Sage in '92. Still super.
20230912_favorite.jpg
20230912_repair.jpg

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll put the rod in the Free section. I have an RPL 5 wt and a DS2 5wt, so that era of Sage is still well represented.