Bro, your boat!!!!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Out with my friend today. Next time he'll give the anchor rope a little more slack.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

8A313298-C358-475C-BF45-689EB8E2214F.jpeg

27B4ABFB-4B67-489D-B62B-8F202BCF587D.jpeg

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
That's some pretty impressive scouring of that cut bank. How was the fishing? Sounds like the omnipresent wind was in play.

Got into a nice streamer bite early. Went 2 for 4 on Olive in the first 20 minutes. Then it kind of slowed down, wind picked up, and we about lost our boat.

Just another day.
DD2uQUpf_o.gif

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'd make more fun of the guy, but that feels like the kind of mistake I'd make myself at least once twice.
That's it, after a bit of worry, just afraid to laugh too hard because karmas a bitch.
Like the caption material at the bottom.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Looks like some snow melt in the water. Nice and cold, huh.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I suspect things like that happen more often than one might expect. Last summer on the lower Madison I rescued a woman in a raft whose husband had dropped anchor with no scope in the line. He got out to fish a side channel, and his wife began drifting away in the raft.

Thinking on this and I'm reminded of the time guide John Farrar parked his raft on an island in the Skagit while his clients got out to fish. Rising water floated the raft away, and poor John had to swim after it in winter water temperatures and then get the raft back upstream to retrieve his clients. Hope he gave them a good discount.

Glad that sort of thing never happened to me. But, oh, wait - it did! I once floated the NF Stilly with Bob Strobel. We were going to take out just below the Cicero bridge. We were fishing the rip rap pool alongside the RR tracks just upstream from the bridge. Hadn't noticed that the river was rising until I noticed our raft floating by, well out of reach. We went upstream, crossed the river and hiked down to my car, but the raft had floated past by then. So we drove down to the end of the road on river left to the gravel bar and just waited. It showed up a few minutes later with one of my rods and Hardy St. George still balanced on the seat. Whew! I guess it can happen to anyone.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I suspect things like that happen more often than one might expect. Last summer on the lower Madison I rescued a woman in a raft whose husband had dropped anchor with no scope in the line. He got out to fish a side channel, and his wife began drifting away in the raft.

Thinking on this and I'm reminded of the time guide John Farrar parked his raft on an island in the Skagit while his clients got out to fish. Rising water floated the raft away, and poor John had to swim after it in winter water temperatures and then get the raft back upstream to retrieve his clients. Hope he gave them a good discount.

Glad that sort of thing never happened to me. But, oh, wait - it did! I once floated the NF Stilly with Bob Strobel. We were going to take out just below the Cicero bridge. We were fishing the rip rap pool alongside the RR tracks just upstream from the bridge. Hadn't noticed that the river was rising until I noticed our raft floating by, well out of reach. We went upstream, crossed the river and hiked down to my car, but the raft had floated past by then. So we drove down to the end of the road on river left to the gravel bar and just waited. It showed up a few minutes later with one of my rods and Hardy St. George still balanced on the seat. Whew! I guess it can happen to anyone.
I've lost my raft momentarily on the skagit from the rising water. Lucky was in a side channel and I noticed it pretty quickly. That won't happen again....lesson learned.

Hem

Life of the Party
I have taken swims for other peoples boats, but not my own.
Cracks me up.
Funny, but not funny....definately a spring in to action " oh shit" moment.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
1967-or 68 sturgeon fishing about a third of a mile below Bonneville dam on a grey chilly day. With dad my brother and a 10’ trihull boat we used to deliver our gear to sturgeon water -way out there and upriver… we used to use baling wire and a stone hammer to wire up 6-8” bank rocks for weight and treaded lamrey chunks to the edge of the channel in 60’+of turbulent water. The turbulence contribured to my jumping into the columbia near bonneville to swim and fetch our jarred runaway cartop boat with a heavy 20 hp engine. We sawed ot wiggle off the rocks and start to turn into the down current. I kicked off my boots and heavy jacket and jumped in after it. Almost a big mistake the current started to pull my under about 8-10 feet off the rocks. Fought is ineligently splasked around and made it back to the rocks like a wounded seal . Dad and bro hopped into the truck to drive down river to find the boat floating rather quickly downstream. The story does continue…

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Okay they said they would be back and were gone for about 3 hours. I continued to fish with my 15’ sturgeon rod. It had already been put out there so i hung out , watched our gear . About a half hour into the wait i got some big taps i watched reached the rod gave it all i had. I wss 15 or 16 at the time- anyway the pole was bent and bobbed up and down . I hung on with good amount of tension . A long time i knew it was a behemoth. I started cranking line( 60 lb test main line) for quite a while of stopping as the sturg ran in long spurts managed to turn it or it decided to? And through that process of aching wrists and arms i went for it and snapped the line that later i guessed had been abraded on the rocky boulder strewn river bottom. When it broke i fell back and bruised my ass. About an hour later dad and brother Rick came back with the boat in the back of the truck tailgate down crammed in their. Some guy snagged it mid river near Beacon rock and towed it into the boat ramp dock area there. Dad said he was wearing out the horn and flashing his headlights when they spotted it in tow out in the river near there. I told them my story. They said it was bullshit. Yet dad was the master fishing stories, i guess he wasn’t ready for me to join the tradition.

Last edited: