Bozeman launches new high end apparel company

Hem

Life of the Party
What I see on the "Genryu Izakaya" YT channel looks hardcore to me. An "izakaya" is an informal Japanese bar that serves alcoholic drinks and snacks, like an Irish pub. These hardcore wilderness genryu (translated headwaters) anglers combine sawanobori (translated shower or waterfall climbing) with fishing and will hike 13 hours over extremely steep terrain to get to the water they want to fish. These two vids have English sub-titles but I enjoy their other videos even without being able to understand the dialogue and captions.

Check out this one as they have to swim through a ravine @ about 11:16

Heavy rain and high water don't stop them

I wish I was 40 years younger and could do stuff like that again.

Here is some of their stylish hardcore wardrobe
http://www.sawanobori.jp/en/products/
I notice a lot of Montbell apparel too.

Pretty cool.
Well, yeah, I suppose a person could devise a variety of paths to take the "long way around" to fishing. :)

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I was hardcore fly fisherman when I lived in Bozeman. I hiked up bear trap canyon over 10 miles in the snow by myself, camped near the bears, in November. I used to fish an 8 weight with giant flies back before that was a thing out there and get weird looks. That was 2000-2003. Ancient history. I would never do that again but I caught an 8lbs brown so it was worth it.

I do think some fly fishermen are hardcore, but they are usually young, and dumb like I was. As someone coming from a Spey fishing for salmon and steelhead background in my teen years, I could never catch more than a handful of trout on dries before I started swinging the steak dinners out there. Obviously the more “traditional” concepts of fly fishing are not hardcore. Fly fishing has changed so much in the last 20 years it blows my mind.

Griswald

Steelhead
Funny thing, anymore I don't even track all these new companies, they all blend together...
Sometimes I wonder about all the shit we think we need to buy to be successful in our outdoor pursuits- 2 kinds of waders, 2 pairs of wading boots, 10 to 15 rods and reels, tens of dozens of flies, specialty nippers, reels, vests, backpacks, pliers, nets, float tubes raingear...you get the point.

I think of most of our grandparents. They did this with:
1 family station wagon-no 4wd.
1 Rain slicker, 1 wool coat
1 pair of boots for hunting/fishing/camping/hiking
1 shotgun
1 fly rod
1 dozen decoys

In the late 80's and thru the 1990's there was a huge shift in Outdoor marketing, more shit = better at your chosen hobby/sport. Higher end shit meant you were "Hardcore" or "Expert" at your chosen hobby/sport. I will admit it, I fell for almost all of it. Now, I have given away or "permanently loaned" alot of my stuff to friends and family. I find anymore that I prefer many lower end brand rods over my Sages or GLoomis.

I remember my dad used to tell me it isn't about the shit, it is about the experience, I think these companies want us to "buy" into the experiences-literally... picture is dad in the Quetico Provincial Park in 1981

Attachments

• 79_010.jpg
    79_010.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 31

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead