Boat check up time.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't deliberately abuse my Lund or Yamaha outboard motors. But there is enough forgetfulness that benign neglect reigns supreme. Since I can't remember how many years it's been since I took it into the shop for routine "annual maintenance," I finally got around to taking it in the other day. They called me this morning that it was ready for me to pick up. There's really nothing to do with the boat, so I had the 40/30 jet, the 4 hp kicker, and the trailer checked out. Kinda' spendy IMO, but since I can't recall how long ago it was last performed, I'm not complaining. The most interesting part to me is that, at 10 years old, my main motor only has 93 hours on it. I explained to the woman in the store that I mainly use the boat to get from place to place on a river and then get out and wade to fish. And when I do go salmon fishing, I use the main motor to get where I'm going to fish and then troll with the little kicker motor. I guess the 4-horse doesn't have an hour gauge, so who knows how many hours are on it? But I don't fish for salmon that often, so probably not many. The equipment all has a clean bill of health, and I feel like just a bit more responsible boat owner for having taken it in for service.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Don't forget to repack the trailer wheel bearings every so often! Just had my trailer in for new tires and they broke a stud when removing the tire. New stud required a bearing repack and the deterioration they found shocked me. This in spite of the bearing buddies and pumping in some new grease every once in a while.

dep

Steelhead
just spent some time on my boat last weekend as it was running rough. new plugs and some gas octane booster and I'm good to go.
watching my water circulation (pisser) too as it seems not as strong as I recall.
good point on the bears and trailer tires. I replace tires every 4 years regardless.
we need to be safe on the water!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Definitely a good idea to keep up on maintenance. A well maintained modern 4 stroke will last many many years.

Just did the 200 hour oil change and lower unit service on my Mercury this morning. I've done this service on a lot of outboards but this 2019 Mercury is by far the easiest I've ever done. Its so refreshing to do simple maintenance on a motor that is actual designed to allow for the ease of doing so. Engineers definitely put a lot of thought into that end of things

dep

Steelhead
I love outboards as well.
I have an early 2000 140 hp Suzuki (2 stroke) and it has been bullet proof.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I use my boat on average once a week from March through November. At the suggestion of my boat salesman I have the bearings repacked every 6 months, though I'm starting to think that might be excessive. Per Mercury I have the oil changed once a year, since I never put 100 hours on it in that time. With what marinas are charging for that service I think I will start doing it myself. Oh, I have an appointment with Les Schwab Friday for new tires. I've had the trailer for 4 years and don't know how how the tires were when I bought it. It is a 2015, so they could be original.