Boat bags?

EB590

Steelhead
The one I have has a leather patch on it with a Woodcock embossed on it and the word, Timber-doodle. I got it at a Rough Grouse Society banquet back in the early 1980's. Used it as a shooting bag for weekly skeet until my buddy died in 1992 and then repurposed it into my tackle bag. Orvis sold them under their brand too. They have leather bottom and carrying handles of rolled saddle leather too. Actually a pretty classy bag but being a top loader with no baffles it was a dig every time I needed something.
Mine doesn't have a leather bottom, but no baffles and it's a dig. I keep tippet (maxima one shot spools) in a zip lock and my flies in a bunch of Plano boxes.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I wanted a smaller plastic bin for less boxes.
Picked this one up at Hobby Lobby tonight since I was nearby. Should work well with the sizes of fly boxes I make.
SF

IMG_6729.jpegIMG_6727.jpeg

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think a major problem is people's expectations that any boat bag or box will keep the contents dry. No matter how much you spend, they all let the rain in when you open them to get stuff out or put it away. I just plan to empty it out after the trip when I get home and dry everything out then.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I wanted a smaller plastic bin for less boxes.
Picked this one up at Hobby Lobby tonight since I was nearby. Should work well with the sizes of fly boxes I make.
SF

View attachment 106740View attachment 106741
I use these artbin boxes for tying materials but the plastic is very brittle, so I haven't brought them out fishing. I used to use these clear boxes but like the artbin boxes they kept cracking, so I picked up a sidio crate on black friday with dividers. Much more durable.

I didn't buy a lid and the bottom has holes, so any water drains out the bottom. Anything I want to keep dry lives in a dry bag.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I use these artbin boxes for tying materials but the plastic is very brittle, so I haven't brought them out fishing. I used to use these clear boxes but like the artbin boxes they kept cracking, so I picked up a sidio crate on black friday with dividers. Much more durable.

I didn't buy a lid and the bottom has holes, so any water drains out the bottom. Anything I want to keep dry lives in a dry bag.

Good to know. This won’t get a ton of use and if it fails, not many dollars invested.
My other plastic bin I use for lake fishing is at least 15 years old.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For extra clothes and a few other things I use a Patagucci roll top dry bag backpack. Keeps everything dry. It’s a multi use hiking/fishing/camping dry bag back pack. For fishing gear I have old sage bag that starts at 4-5lbs and sometimes ends up 15+ when raining hard….empty contents by the fire at end of the day and next day it’s dry and ready to go. Also a way of inventory the gear and replenishing anything for next adventure.

cdnred

Life of the Party
For something small and watertight, pickup a HF plastic ammo box. Seals good against water intrusion, comes with a carry handle and won't rust. Only issue is that it may be too small for some users depending on what you need to carry with you..

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I bought an LL Bean Boat bag a few years back after having Fishpond sticker shock. I didn't want to own a bag worth more than any of my rods :oops:
I like the hard pan bottom for stability and keeps it dry in the bottom of my leaky pram. Mine has a side stuff rain condom that I deploy. The new models are just water proof I believe.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 12.58.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-14 1.06.41 PM.png

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party

I like this Daiwa boat bag. It has a hard plastic tray on the bottom so it can sit in some water, and the top has about an inch of fabric overhang that covers the zipper. It does a good job keeping the weather out but isn’t totally waterproof like a dry bag because it has a normal zipper. However, a normal zipper lasts longer and works better than a lot of the waterproof zippers in my experience and that overhang is plenty. It’s not huge but it is far from small and fits all my stuff for a day. Most importantly it is $60.

Ardster

Smolt
The one I have has a leather patch on it with a Woodcock embossed on it and the word, Timber-doodle. I got it at a Rough Grouse Society banquet back in the early 1980's. Used it as a shooting bag for weekly skeet until my buddy died in 1992 and then repurposed it into my tackle bag. Orvis sold them under their brand too. They have leather bottom and carrying handles of rolled saddle leather too. Actually a pretty classy bag but being a top loader with no baffles it was a dig every time I needed something.
Wouldn't you know while searching for an unrelated image in my photo files I came across this.
_57_zps7cadb2a9.jpg

That is what I used from the mid 1990's until a few years back when I cleaned up my act. They are nice tote bags if you are going shooting because you can pop 5 boxes of Double AA's in there and a snack with room for your jacket when fall rolls around :)