Blue Lake - Sinlahekin

Tippet

Smolt
I love lake fishing and particularly enjoy the lakes in Okanogan, Spokane, Stevens and Pend Oreille Counties, and of course in B.C. Circumstances have conspired to keep me away from Blue Lake for a few years. On a recent trip to Okanogan county lakes, my best friend and I were very surprised and disappointed with how Blue Lake fished, especially since the other lakes fished well. In 5 hours of fishing, I caught 13 fish, but really had to work to get them and used to catch at least 3-4 times as many fish in that time. While the size of the fish were often modest in the past, these fish were no bigger. The number of fish spotted on the fish finder with both downward and side view was way down. Did we just have a bad day or have others noted a drop off?

Flymph

Steelhead
13 fish in five hours is the best I have heard out of that lake, this year! Congratulations.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was there in 2019, 2020 and 2021 and noticed a definite slowing of my catch rate in 2021 along with lower lake levels.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last fall the fishing there was dismal for me. I recently spent a week in Okonogan and never bothered to fish it but caught some magnificent heavy 18-22" rainbows in two other lakes. Generally speaking, it seems Okonogan lakes are on the decline. I have been fishing them for almost 35 years now and it no longer makes sense given the long drive and high gas prices.

Closer to home, Freestone and I have hooked some huge fish in the past few days and on Friday had a day of landing over 40 fish between us, mostly plump 14-16'' fish but enough much bigger fish to make it really interesting. We were the only ones on the water. Today we are visiting a mountain stream in search of native cutthroat and tomorrow a lake where fishing has been extremely good all year. It is the last few days of the season before it closes on Halloween. With the new global warming trend the season should stay open until November 30, why close it earlier, there is almost no one fishing anyway and the fishing is some of the best of the year.

Last Wednesday Krusty and I had a great day on a lake with him getting an 18'' fish as the fish of the day. I caught a beautiful tiger which was the biggest I have ever landed. The Obscure Lakes Program has worked quite well this year with some largely ignored general regs lakes kicking out some great fish. One of the few fly fishing only lakes we visit has been ho-hum with smaller fish and fewer of them. Do your research, there are fish out there dying of old age that need your attention!

Islander

Life of the Party
One thing I really like about Wyoming is that most if not all of the lakes are open all year. I used to fish Goss Lake a lot during the fall until it closed, as there were very few people fishing and you had a chance at some larger fish even though it is a put and take lake. There was always a month or so of nice weather after it closed and I was bummed. Here, I can fish the two close P&T lakes until they freeze (haven’t tried the ice fishing thing yet) and get some excellent sized stockers.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
With the new global warming trend the season should stay open until November 30, why close it earlier, there is almost no one fishing anyway and the fishing is some of the best of the year.
I wouldn't be made about the season bumping back a month.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
Yes, adapt to global warming. But, AH, that adapt word is not in the vocabulary of Fish and Wildlife.