Blobs

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
The reaction many people have to "The Blob", reminds me of the reaction I had upon reading about the "San Juan Worm" back in the day! WTF..
Their effectiveness ends up trumping our discust...

Edit: Has anyone figured out how to make a balanced blob? 😆

Flybox1

Steelhead
I wasn’t an early adopter. But all it takes is watching your fishing buddy put a bite together when none of the usual stuff is working. Persuasive enough for me.
This ^^^
Late summer lake. Place was a ghost-town. Probably because the surface temp was near 70F and it was windy. We took off towards the deeper end of the lake, and anchored up in about 40'. Fish were just off the bottom. A double blob rig got my gear down fast. It was basically as soon as my leader straightened, I got hit. It took too much time to re-peg my indicator, so I cut it and any extra leader length off, and tossed it all back in after releasing a fish. My buddy soon followed suit. We both had fish who took both blobs. Now I have a dedicated blob box.
I would safely bet we released 40+ fish that day.

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know this is a bit of a joke, but blobs are already round so no need to balance it. Trust me, if I see a pattern that could be balanced under an indicator, it has been done.
No need to balance a blob to create a better profile or presentation.. as Ira says it's round after all.. I never tie them balanced but have a friend who did with the thought that it may help minimize or limit the number of "deep throat" takes that does happen with blobs.. not sure if a balanced blob does this or not but that was his thinking...

Last edited:

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Is there an official hook? We could make millions @O clarkii lewisi!!! BLOB hooks for sale! Proven to make a blob blob better. 10.99 for 10😁
@Billy
Ok, I kinda knew mine was a lame question. But judging from the 20 some pages of hooks in my latest tying catalog, I am sure that we could make a killing with that sales pitch!! I will work on a lil jingle that will stick in everyone's head...... :giggle:

Divad

Whitefish
Try a floating blob/boobie affixed to a full sink line and a straight mono leader.

It’s an odd presentation that works surprisingly well when not moving.