Black Squirrel Tail

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Dyed black squirrel tail is harder to find than the oak island treasure

would i bleach a gray squirrel tail before dyeing black or just dye it black?

is there a recipe for black dye?

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I would not bleach it take the natural grey tail soak and wash in woolitte. Pick up some jacquard dye in chestnut and black use citric acid to set it. Start with the chestnut first bring to a boil and then add the black dye. Then add the citric acid bring to a boil and let bath cool some add the clean tail. Make sure the bath has stopped boiling or it curl the tips of the fibers or burn them.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
thank you

i'm a newbie at dyeing

what would be the measurements of the components?

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
If it still has hide I’d tac that down to something. My first squirrel hide I dyed shrunk up so much it was not useable. Ended up making dubbing.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I don’t get real complicated with measurements I use half a spoon full of chest nut and full spoon of black. I use two spoons full of citric acid which sets the color well and doesn’t bleed out color during use. When you have any hide on the material it will eat up the dye which is why I like a strong bath. If you’re using just feathers you can dye more materials if that makes sense.

Divad

Whitefish
@Denwor54 what do you do about hide shrinkage? Mine shrunk up real bad and made it impossible to use. Tried stretching after but was a fail. I read to tac the hide down to a board, do you do that?

Denwor54

Life of the Party
@Denwor54 what do you do about hide shrinkage? Mine shrunk up real bad and made it impossible to use. Tried stretching after but was a fail. I read to tac the hide down to a board, do you do that?
Depending on the hide I will put paper towels with the hide up and then use phone books or something with some weight to hold it down. Also some times I will staple them down. Recently I dyed some JC skins and the shrunk some but by putting weight on them they stayed flat.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got the hareline assortment of various colors, one of which is black, from J Stockard for $7.45 but I see in their catalog they have single tails for $5.95 and they occasionally have deals that include free shipping.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
i got 2 black squirrel tails from flyfishfood

they should last awhile