Black Canyon NP

After ignoring it for most of the year I finally started taking trips down to the local National Park. The first trip down there yielded a couple of nice fish but several break-offs on 3x/4x tippet. I got some 2x leaders for the next trip and didn't lose any fish to break-offs. Mostly fishing a hopper dropper set up with a bigger purple prince nymph type fly as the first dropper and then a small perigon below that. The rainbows like the dead drift but some of the browns will take the prince nymph swung. The fishing is phenomenal down there, easily the best I've experienced in Colorado. I started bringing along either my watermaster grizzly or a packraft to get to the other side of the river away from the road and it has opened up the fishing possibilities in a big way. In the last couple trips I've experienced a wide range of weather. I got caught in thunderstorm, experienced 90 degree heat, had some chilly days, and fought the big W.
IMG_2748-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_2786-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_3123-exif-remove.JPG

My fiance has joined on a couple trips and found some hawgs
IMG_3115-exif-remove.jpeg
08E07727-C0C0-47A8-B51D-D32215C50F7B_1_105_c-exif-remove.jpeg

I definitely haven't figured out the best way to take a pic of a fish while fishing solo
IMG_2911-exif-remove.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 11.59.38 AM.png
This dummy took the hopper on the 2x leader
IMG_2819-exif-remove.jpeg
IMG_2828-exif-remove.jpeg

The views are pretty good too.
IMG_2868-exif-remove.jpeg

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A couple more:

Ran into a bear while swinging flies one day. He didn't seem too bothered.
IMG_2945-exif-remove.jpeg

A few fish I tangled with had this weird bubble deformity on their gill plate and fins. I've been listening to the audiobook Midnight in Chernobyl (highly recommend) and I couldn't stop thinking of these guys as Chernobyl trout.
IMG_2797-exif-remove.jpeg
you can see it on this brown's gill plate and fins.
IMG_2813-exif-remove.jpeg
This guy had it too, just not as pronounced.
IMG_2818-exif-remove.jpeg

It can be a brooding place during a thunderstorm. but it makes for good streamer action.
IMG_2849-exif-remove.jpeg

Leaving the park one day I saw a trout giving this fisherman the runaround. He got him into the net after a battle.
IMG_2947-exif-remove.jpeg

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Awesome report and a great river.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Nice photo essay, Peter! That cookie duster is new since I saw you last year, looks good!