Black bamboo “ugly stick”

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Out of the six I’ve made so far…..the black bamboo was in a yard next to a lake in Federal Way, the others from brush piles in my neighborhood. You can use any…..

Cliff

Steelhead
These are so cool. A robuilder friend of mine built a one piece rod from some bamboo growing in his yard and he was amazing at how well it cast.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
These are so cool. A robuilder friend of mine built a one piece rod from some bamboo growing in his yard and he was amazing at how well it cast.
I cast that rod at a Metolius gathering. It really did cast very well. Knowing his sense of humor I thought it was a great wordless joke as well as a commentary on the minutia that some rod makers get into and discuss that can lead to full fledged arguments.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
If anyone wants to try this and you get out near Port Angeles I have a bunch of potential 23 ft 6 weights out in back of the house. And many of them are pretty straight and might even be 9 weights. Best neighbor screen ever.

PXL_20240502_204344087.MP.jpg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
If anyone wants to try this and you get out near Port Angeles I have a bunch of potential 23 ft 6 weights out in back of the house. And many of them are pretty straight and might even be 9 weights. Best neighbor screen ever.

View attachment 112744
Isn’t it bizarre how black bamboo grows? Alternating round to flat every other node….thicker sections make a natural awesome reelseat!

Cliff

Steelhead
I cast that rod at a Metolius gathering. It really did cast very well. Knowing his sense of humor I thought it was a great wordless joke as well as a commentary on the minutia that some rod makers get into and discuss that can lead to full fledged arguments.
I didn't know that. He does have an interesting sense of humor. I attended only one of the Metolius gatherings and I had a great time and learned a lot just from hearing guys chatting with each other. Fun times.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
One more black bamboo Stik…..worst of the bunch so I tried to straighten it a bit over the hot stove element…..top two nodes snapped. The color of the tip sections were lighter in color, maybe too “green?” I didn’t try this before and I guess I won’t again. Crooked is better than broken!