Bird identification help

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I was out on one of my bass ponds near Potholes reservoir when I saw a bird I'm struggling to identify. It came out of cattails. Was large enough I thought at first small eagle or owl but it wasn’t. It kind of flew up and then away in an irregular flight pattern. It was gray or brown and white in sort of a barred pattern. Had a weird little triangle short beak. I don't think it had long legs like a shore bird and seemed bigger then most shore birds. It didn't explode out of the cattails and wasn't a type of duck or goose. It's driving me nuts trying to figure out😵‍💫

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Bigger then a Sora. Not a Hawk. Maybe a Bittern. Will have to see if I can find videos of one

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
That's a cool bird to see. They are normally quite cryptic!
I spent ten minutes staring at a bittern 20 feet away before I finally saw it. The green legs gave it away. And they're pretty good size.

Anyone interested in bird ID should try the Merlin app from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. You can put in a description with location, and it will give likely matches. My new favorite is the Sound ID feature. Just open your microphone, and it will highlight bird calls in real time.

Hatty

Smolt
It is a heron. I was in Klamath Basin as a youth, and much marsh habitat around there. So there were many Bitterns and other kinds of herons. A common name for the Bittern is shitepoke. We called them shitaquarts. Because upon taking flight if they're startled they shit about what seems like a quart. Did your bird squirt when it took off, Billy?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I agree with Bob. Harriers bob around on their long wings and fly low looking in the brush and grass for prey. They have a distinctive white band on top, where the tail meets the body. Fun to watch them work..
OMG thank you! I have seen this hawk on my way to work almost every day working its territory. Flying low across the fields with that white band above the rump. For some reason I thought it would be easy to ID with that white patch but internet searches have been inconclusive.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I agree with Bob. Harriers bob around on their long wings and fly low looking in the brush and grass for prey. They have a distinctive white band on top, where the tail meets the body. Fun to watch them work..
and an owl-like face disc.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter