Big Bugs And Snakes.

Fished the D, Sunday through Wednesday. We floated Monday and Hiked into the Reservation side all the other days. Sunday evening saw lots of Stoneflies in the air and on the bank. Fish where still keying in on the big bugs, in the morning and evening. Caddis were starting to come off in good numbers on the warmer days. Yellow sallies green drakes, pmd’s a dry fly fishers Heaven. But the nymphing was so good I never put a dry on😂. A jigged crawbugger and a small dropper took lot’s of healthy red sides and trophy whitefish, some kind of giant sucker fish that I didn’t even know existed 😳.

My buddy caught lots of nice trout on dries. He also ran into lots of rattlesnakes, even a freshly hatch baby. I saw one snake. A Bullsnake crossing the river and being harassed by Redwing black birds. All in all a great trip.

P.s. as a side note, we ran into a couple of real inspirations. Bill and Dwight from Washington were there on there mountain bikes fly fishing. No big deal right? Except Bill is a young 79 and Dwight was a tad older at 82 😳. These guys caught all their fish on dries and were having a Fat tire with a Gin and tonic chaser before they headed back out. I hope I’m still as good as them when I’m their age.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
P.s. as a side note, we ran into a couple of real inspirations. Bill and Dwight from Washington were there on there mountain bikes fly fishing. No big deal right? Except Bill is a young 79 and Dwight was a tad older at 82 😳. These guys caught all their fish on dries and were having a Fat tire with a Gin and tonic chaser before they headed back out. I hope I’m still as good as them when I’m their age.

Bill and Dwight sound like my kind of people!
nice report! I love snakes!