Best Wader Repair Technique

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I went ass up today and managed to put two holes in my waders; one is a tear on the knee and the other is a 1/2" split seam, right in the dick area.

In the past, I've just used whatever repair products I could get the quickest. This time, I want to do it properly. So... what's the best stuff to get?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
for that? damn....too bad there's no video of that!

My first thought would be: get new waders.

second thought: cut out pieces of old waders and glue the hell out of them onto the affected part (of the waders). Your next leaks are still going to be in those affected areas (of the waders).

Whenever I would repair that type of elongated cut/rip/etc, I would always cut the patch in an oval so that there are no corners to peel up.

ALSO, you could use tenacious tape (I actually use this on my Commander) to hold things together then coat everything with a silicone sealant.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
The damage isn't too bad. I wore the waders all day and I only got wet enough to look like I have a mild incontinence problem. I'm certain they are repairable, I just want to do it the best way possible.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Aqua Seal might be an option.

I put a hole in the knee if my waders this week kneeling down on some barnacle covered rocks while releasing a salmon.
Not a big hole but my leg was wet after fishing. I didn’t have any Aqua Seal so I used some fly tying Solarez Flex UV cure, which did the job.
SF

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It seems the respones above cover more experience at repairs than I have but what does the manufacturer of your waders recommend? Good luck!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Above solutions are good. Aqua seal has a kit with some material, I used for years on those old bean waders that finally gave up. My concern would be the crotch seam, maybe check out sending in for repairs? I have good luck with in the material holes, like the two just below the belt from falling on my butt in the new redingtons, which are just small tears and were inside/outside covered with a dollop of aquaseal, but seam repairs always seem to go within a year for me.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Above solutions are good. Aqua seal has a kit with some material, I used for years on those old bean waders that finally gave up. My concern would be the crotch seam, maybe check out sending in for repairs? I have good luck with in the material holes, like the two just below the belt from falling on my butt in the new redingtons, which are just small tears and were inside/outside covered with a dollop of aquaseal, but seam repairs always seem to go within a year for me.

I'm outside Redington's repair window, unfortunately. I probably wouldn't send them in anyway; I read that repairs take too long.

If I could get another 6 months out of them, that would be good enough. They have served be very well and have lasted far longer than I expected them to.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I'm outside Redington's repair window, unfortunately. I probably wouldn't send them in anyway; I read that repairs take too long.

If I could get another 6 months out of them, that would be good enough. They have served be very well and have lasted far longer than I expected them to.
Is it a seam separation or a tear at the edge of the backing tape. A seam split you can stitch with a fine needle and thread, then aqua seal outside and place a piece of backing inside. You may have seem this already
https://flylordsmag.com/wader_repair_a_how_to_guide/
https://www.google.com/search?q=aqu...t=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_pbAoY8vVLYbUkPIP5JSH4Aw_18

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter

It looks like maybe 2 stitches have been severed and then 3-4 on either side have been stretched out. I hadn't seen that link, but that is more or less what I figured I would do. Thankfully, the tear is above the crotch, so I have a fairly flat surface. If it was at the crotch, where everything joins together, I assume that it wouldn't be repairable.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
It looks like maybe 2 stitches have been severed and then 3-4 on either side have been stretched out. I hadn't seen that link, but that is more or less what I figured I would do. Thankfully, the tear is above the crotch, so I have a fairly flat surface. If it was at the crotch, where everything joins together, I assume that it wouldn't be repairable.
Sounds doable for sure, good luck with it.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If it is right in the crotch area, make sure you put lots of extra Aquaseal on there.
That way people will think you get super excited when you catch a fish…..
I know this from a past wader repair experience I did and some of the looks I received. 😂
Streamline neoprene waders were an absolute POS back in the day.
SF

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
18 replies and somehow nobody has mentioned using aqua seal. Duh!

Bagman

Steelhead
18 replies and somehow nobody has mentioned using aqua seal. Duh!
By the way Aquaseal also makes a UV cure. I like it better, because it doesn’t set up in the tube, and you can run a leak check on the repair in just a few hours. Oh ya my simms waders came with a repair kit with a tube of drum roll Aqua seal.