Best moment in rock history?

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Given the divergence in this thread to recalling great concerts we have witnessed I must mention a show I attended very late in the sixties. At that time I was a very neophyte guitarist of sorts and devotee of folk music and went down to the Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College to see a rising young folk artist named Bob Dylan. His first set was as expected by all with him singing in his inimitable fashion, strumming his guitar and occasionally playing harmonica. During the break the curtain closed and we could hear the sound of some kind of loud noises associated with the moving of heavy equipment behind the curtains. When those curtains parted there was Dylan backed by drums, organ and electric guitars and bass, the first time he had chosen to go electric. They launched into "Positively Fourth Street" much to the surprise and dismay of the many folk purists in attendance yet the complete captivation of those who chose to listen without prior judgement. Those who did not walk out in disgust got to listen to an epic Dylan set backed up by Elvin Bishop, Mike Bloomfield et all, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band in all their glory. What a show it turned out to be and the beginning of a new era in music that endures to this day. Little did we know we were witnessing the nascent exhibition of a talent that became synonymous with the times. That initial blast of sound from that electric organ still gives me chills.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Radar Love is my go to song.

An old memory: driving through Greenwater, Radar Love blasting out of my Datsun roadster. Got pulled over for it being too loud. Cop said great song, just turn it down a little and let me go...
Twilight Zone.

RCF

Legend
The divergence is welcomed IMHO. I was shocked to see the Al Stewart and Heart diversions. But it is Seattle... Seattle is blessed as a music cultural place. There is a lot more ---> we have only touched the tip of the iceberg. Many of us could add more.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Seeing Foghat in the Spokane in 197X? Going to Aerosmith a year or so later and having the opening act blow them out of the standium. Some band called AC/DC.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I worked security at almost all the major Seattle shows from the late 70’s to through the mid 80’s. I saw some pretty funny and crazy stuff go down out in the crowds plus getting to be backstage before some of the shows.
I ended up at the Harborview emergency room to get a tetanus shot after a crazy gal bit my arm. Not my greatest moment in rock history.
SF

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Given the divergence in this thread to recalling great concerts we have witnessed I must mention a show I attended very late in the sixties. At that time I was a very neophyte guitarist of sorts and devotee of folk music and went down to the Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College to see a rising young folk artist named Bob Dylan. His first set was as expected by all with him singing in his inimitable fashion, strumming his guitar and occasionally playing harmonica. During the break the curtain closed and we could hear the sound of some kind of loud noises associated with the moving of heavy equipment behind the curtains. When those curtains parted there was Dylan backed by drums, organ and electric guitars and bass, the first time he had chosen to go electric. They launched into "Positively Fourth Street" much to the surprise and dismay of the many folk purists in attendance yet theyou witnessed one of, if not THE most sea changing moment in the arc of complete captivation of those who chose to listen without prior judgement. Those who did not walk out in disgust got to listen to an epic Dylan set backed up by Elvin Bishop, Mike Bloomfield et all, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band in all their glory. What a show it turned out to be and the beginning of a new era in music that endures to this day. Little did we know we were witnessing the nascent exhibition of a talent that became synonymous with the times. That initial blast of sound from that electric organ still gives me chills.
I've watched footage of that event multiple times...what a moment, out with the old and in with the new. If I could only have one artist to listen to on a long road trip, make it the works of Dylan.
Am a huge fan of Paul Butterfield, the East West album featuring the work of Elvin Bishop and Mike Bloomfield blew the doors off

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Given the divergence in this thread to recalling great concerts we have witnessed I must mention a show I attended very late in the sixties. At that time I was a very neophyte guitarist of sorts and devotee of folk music and went down to the Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College to see a rising young folk artist named Bob Dylan. His first set was as expected by all with him singing in his inimitable fashion, strumming his guitar and occasionally playing harmonica. During the break the curtain closed and we could hear the sound of some kind of loud noises associated with the moving of heavy equipment behind the curtains. When those curtains parted there was Dylan backed by drums, organ and electric guitars and bass, the first time he had chosen to go electric. They launched into "Positively Fourth Street" much to the surprise and dismay of the many folk purists in attendance yet the complete captivation of those who chose to listen without prior judgement. Those who did not walk out in disgust got to listen to an epic Dylan set backed up by Elvin Bishop, Mike Bloomfield et all, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band in all their glory. What a show it turned out to be and the beginning of a new era in music that endures to this day. Little did we know we were witnessing the nascent exhibition of a talent that became synonymous with the times. That initial blast of sound from that electric organ still gives me chills.
In 1975 I was18, my sister gave me a ticket to see Bob Dylan and The Band in Seattle. I knew who Dylan was but didn't really know The Band. I
went by myself and thoroughly enjoyed the show, but it wasn't until later that I realized how fortunate I was to see these iconic artist.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I worked security at almost all the major Seattle shows from the late 70’s to through the mid 80’s. I saw some pretty funny and crazy stuff go down out in the crowds plus getting to be backstage before some of the shows.
I ended up at the Harborview emergency room to get a tetanus shot after a crazy gal bit my arm. Not my great moment in rock history.
SF
So you’ve always had that magnetic attraction, haven’t you, sea glass colored hands Man?

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I ended up at the Harborview emergency room to get a tetanus shot after a crazy gal bit my arm. Not my great moment in rock history.
SF

I might have seen you or one of your coworkers pull the little dumbshit sitting next to me out of his seat for lighting firecrackers at a Quiet Riot concern at the Colliseum in the early 80's. The first security guy pulled him out of his seat by the shoulders of his jacket, threw him to the other security guy who drug him away. We half-expected to see him floating face down in the fountain after the concert.

If that was you, great job and very impressive! (y)

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
For me the "moment" is a 6 month period in 1967 with 4 record albums that had extremely diverse styles; two of which were overproduced containing arrangements that were great to listen to but unfortunately never intended for, or just could not be duplicated in live performance.
May 12, who had ever heard anything like this prior to its release?

May 26, not much more can be said about this truly groundbreaking recording (I was in a cover band in high school that did a decent 3-song medley from this album in 1969).

June 6, this album contains some of my all-time favorite rock guitar playing and excellent vocals. Sadly despite containing plenty of energy, their live performances just could not match the quality of the studio, and mismanagement, terrible marketing, mental illness aggravated by drug abuse, and bad behavior soon sent them spiraling into oblivion.

And November 10, these beautiful "story" arrangements evoke emotions and many images in my mind.

And I am extremely happy to know that this has been performed extremely well live by original band members! Wish I could have seen it.

Last edited:

East Coaster

Steelhead
Your memory is a little off - it actually happened at the Newport (RI) Folk Festival in 1965 (here's the first song of his "electric" set):

I was going to post this before I saw your post, as I grew up in RI and it was always fascinating to me that there was such a negative response to what seemed like a cool thing (I was a little kid at the time and didn't learn about this until much later, when folk-rock was already well established). For all of these moments, it's hard to really understand how significant they were if you didn't experience them at the time, since the context plays such a big role. When we see Elvis or Chuck Berry footage now, or hear any Beatles song or Hendrix or the Ramones, etc., it's not the same as the first time anyone saw or heard them, with nothing quite like them around beforehand.......

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
That must of been awesome!…

A couple years ago we went to Woodinville to see Ray LaMontagne… most people were expecting to hear a mostly acoustic set…it was full blown electric psychedelic…which I really dug, but not everyone…

Radar Love is my go to song. An iconic song.

An old memory: driving through Greenwater, Radar Love blasting out of my Datsun roadster. Got pulled over for it being too loud. Cop said great song, just turn it down a little and let me go...
They played with a band called Stray Dog whose self-titled first recording is really good in a ZZ Top kind of way, indeed covering the song 'Chevrolet'.😉

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I missed Friday due to playing high school football but I was there. George and the Destroyers rocked it, the whole venue was good. For 5 bucks or maybe 10 at most. Go in and we sat and listened and moved around and listen to several acts, your admission was good for all shows. I swear I also saw Oingo Boingo and the Tubes. It was a one in a million venue, why would I lie 😉

Bumbershoot 1982 Setlists​

SEP 3 1982
Date
Friday, September 3, 1982 - Monday, September 6, 1982
So far, there are setlists of 19 gigs in 4 venues.
Report festival

Recent visitors​

EB590

Steelhead
Not a big MTV guy but I was young for this and I still think it was pretty sweet. Not sure why link won't work but rocking in the free world neil young and pearl jam where they smash the guitars at the end.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had to look it up. Via Seattle times…

1982 - Admission jumps to $3 a day. Tina Turner, still on the comeback trail, wows a big crowd. Henny Youngman makes 'em laugh, and so does the Firesign Theater. Rock 'n' roll is featured, with George Thorogood & the Destroyers and Mitch Ryder drawing big, dance-mad crowds. It rains for most of the festival.

So for 3 bucks you a day you got to pick and chose or do some of both if overlapping a bit at different venues. Walk in and out. Find a seat. It was a new experience for a teenager. 😆

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
6 months later I would pay 20 bucks to see Def Leppard open for a very talented guitar player and singer but the mauve and pink outfits and feministic dance moves was not gonna help Billy Squire. Love some of his songs/music but he was a bit to advance in the theatric and some what like Sam Smith today. But todays audience is more open and accepting, not back then. That’s my take on it at least. Stroke Me!!!