Best Laces For Wading Boot?

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I have worn Simms boots for years but they chew up laces quick. It seems like a smoother slicker lace that would slide through the boots would last longer and get me the tight fit I need. Anyone have some favorites?

Bass-O-Matic

Life of the Party
I have a lightly used part of Orvis boots that look new but a lace has failed already. The other thing I noticed in general is that laces sure look like they could harbor the whirling disease virus just as easily as felt soles.

I'm thinking maybe I need to make my own out of some type of cord material? Head out to see what my options are locally.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Otter

Steelhead
I have worn Simms boots for years but they chew up laces quick.
That shouldn’t happen, especially with expensive boots like Simms. There may be rough or sharp surfaces inside the boot eyelets or hooks. Try pulling a piece of soft cloth, like an old nylon stocking, through each eyelet and hook. If the cloth catches, try smoothing the metal surfaces with crocus cloth. If things are really rough, go with a coarser material, like emery paper, then finish with the crocus.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I switched out most of my boot laces (Simms G3 & G4) with BOA laces (bought boa repair/replacement kits but stuck them on non-boa boots). Works beautifully and they’re so much easier to manage with gloves on in the winter.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Had that problem with a pair of cabelas and redington boots. Simms Freestone laces have held up for 4 years.

I fixed those old boots by using strip leather boot laces. Will last longer than the boot and is dirt cheap.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
I have korkers boa for freshwater and simms salt for the beach. I have arthritic fingers so it can be painful to lace a boot. I would buy simms laces for simms boot because when I cinch the lace into the cleat they lock. I can release or readjust my hand and the lace does not come loose before cinching the next cleat. This is a big advantage to arthritis sufferers. I have not tried other laces.

Hatty

Smolt
I have started using paracord for boot lacing. Cheap as dirt. I like round synthetic woven laces. They start to fray before they break, so you can replace them before they snap. Unlike leather laces, which give no warning. Leather will stretch when wet, and then pop.